help with day lilies

Longmeadow, MA

I am in Massachusetts and in the beginning of July's hot weather. Because of health reasons I was unable to weed or care for my lilies last year. i'm a year behind and the weeds are killing my flowers. i plan to weed as much as possible without disturbing the plants and turn over the soil to prepare for transplanting. i want to split my lilies and transplant them as soon as possible. They are in dire straights so i'm going to add some fertilizer to get them through the summer. Do I have to wait until next spring or can I split and transplant during the summer?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Daylilies are tough as nails. I would wait until the blooming is over if you want to see them in bloom. Plant when you are ready and water them in. The more sun, the better. The photo is at my previous home and no-name mix of colors. The only thing I hated was pulling out the dead stalks after blooming...

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Longmeadow, MA

Thank you, that makes me feel better. I am in the process of clearing out the area, and trying to identify my lilies. They have been overwhelmed by wild blue flag iris, spiderwort, and tall grass. The leaves are very similar to the iris and spiderwort. Both are very invasive. i'm trying to clear the areas around the dead yellow leaves, which I hope are the lilies. Your lilies look wonderful. I hope you have started them again in your new location.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

You have a big job in front of you with digging and separating. If your heat is like ours (we had an exceptionally cool June for the first 3 weeks) but has really heated up, I would not dig until fall unless it was a project I could no longer put off.

I let all those driveway lilies behind but dug some from my parents and bought a handful since moving here 16 years ago. I traded some of my plants for day-lilies about 2 to 3 years ago and they are getting prettier each year. Here are some of the prettier ones.

Second photo is a daylily from Walmart.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.