Potato plants falling over. Advice?

Boston, United States

Greetings everyone.
So, I planted some German Butterball seeds on May 26th... they have been doing really great. Got a good amount of strong foliage on the tops, no holes or discolored leaves, etc. I have about 3-4 chitted and cut up seed potatoes in each 10 gallon grow bag that I'm using. I put in some bone meal when I first planted the seeds in, and last week I sprayed the leaves with some Neem oil as a bit of preventative pest control. I Planted the seeds, and added soil over the foliage as it grew up- repeated that, then added a layer of wood chips/mulch on top of the soil around the stalks when the soil eventually reached the top of the grow bag.
Everything seemed to be going really well.
Today I have discovered a lot of the foliage has all fallen over and is laying down .
We haven't had a lot of wind or rain lately- and the stalks and leaves don't seem to be very discolored or show any rot. (that I can see) The grow bags are off the ground, and don't sit in water. Since this is my first year growing potatoes- I've exhausted both my personal knowledge of this and my internet research, which eventually brought me here.
I appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance. (Zone 6b)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is normal for potato plants to fall over as the tubers begin to mature. The plants will die as the the potatoes mature at which time you harvest them. July -August are predicted harvest times for 6b.

Boston, United States

Thanks for the help, Farmerdill.
Although, It's only been about 30 days since I planted the seed potatoes.
Doesn't that seem really early for the plants to be dying back?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes it does. Time line fits a Good Friday planting time. It possible that it has been hotter than normal. potatoes are a cool weather crop and will balk at summer heat. If your vines are longer than a foot you should be ok. Tall vines fall over faster than short vines. Dieback begins with yellowing of the leaves. If your plants are green and vigorous I would still expect harvest in August.

Boston, United States

So we got a bit of rain today... now ALL of my potato plants are laying down.
lol. Does it seem that they have become weakened for some reason, so that they aren't even able to stand upright after some rain?
And it should be fine to let them lay over for the next month or two until harvest time?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.