Need Sources for rare Cloudberry plants \"Rubus chamaemorus\"

Pittsburgh, PA

I am posting this in Container Gardening because this berry would need to be grown in a container in my greenhouse.

Cloudberries, also known as Bakeapples, are low lying yellow-orange berry native to cold climates, more specifically northern Europe, parts of Canada, some of the pacific northwest, and some very northern parts of California. I live in Pennsylvania and I know that with our climate, these will have to be grown indoors.

For the past three years, I have been unable to find a nursery that sells live Cloudberry plants and is able to ship them to Pennsylvania let alone the United States. I have Cloudberry seeds, but they are extremely difficult to germinate, and I have heard a rumor that it takes 7 years to fruit when grown from seed (hence why I am looking for live plants). I haven't been able to germinate a single seed out of the nearly 100 that I have tried (scarification, stratification, and acid baths did not help). The nursery that sold me the seeds is in Europe and they are not allowed to ship live plants to the USA. I have reached out to the two users with plant sources in the trading community on here but no response from either.

Hopefully this thread can reach many more users who might just know of a source in the U.S. There is a nursery in Washington with these plants, but their laws do not allow out-of-state shipping.

Thank you for your help!

Portland, OR

I don't know whether they will ever bear fruit, as the Oregon summer climate has proved to be very hard on them, but I have had success germinating cloudberry seeds by poking a hole in the endocarp with a pushpin, before sowing into a flat in the fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.