Jewel orchids

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone grow and propagate any of these? I've hadn't had luck with them let alone been able to find any.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I grow epiphytic orchids but have grown jewels in the past. I've never been able to keep them going more than a few years. They are so finicky about humidity, require good air circulation and need frequent refreshing of their medium. The best luck I've had is in a bell jar that is ventilated daily and in a huge brandy snifter with a mini fan.

Paph growers sometimes have jewels but I've seen them more frequently available through exotic tropical growers.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I've had exceptional luck with ones given to me by growing them in a shallow aluminum pan along with a big rex begonia (Shaun's Dream). I move the pan outside for summer where slugs and caterpillars feast on the leaves and then back in for winter where they usually bloom. This year I think I had 7 flower stalks, maybe more. I add a little top soil in spring for another year's growth. Easy-peasy?

last photo showing the rex close up

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have been wondering if they could be treated like wandering jew? Right now too expensive to play with that idea as there seems to be a shortage on jewel orchid supply. I envy hcmc, I think I was either overwatering or underwatering in my case. Florida fungus gnats didn't help either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.