Arugula mystery

Erie, PA(Zone 5a)

When cleaning up the garden this spring, I found what I believed to be arugula (planted via seed a couple of years ago & then forgotten), but since it was growing in a space I had plans for, I decided to move it. It took a lot of digging and tugging, but finally the root(s) came out. I wasn't finding anything online about arugula having tap roots, so now I'm wondering if it was actually arugula, or a look-a-like weed. I've attached a couple of photos. I ended up tossing the whole thing due to being unsure what it really was and not willing to eat an unknown. Can anyone verify if this was arugula or not?

Thumbnail by rexxmama Thumbnail by rexxmama
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Not.

Erie, PA(Zone 5a)

OK, my suspicion was correct it seems, and I'm glad I tossed the plant, which I assume was a weed. Do you know what specific weed this thing was, MaypopLaurel? I'm trying to figure out how it got into my garden box, which is 4 1/2 feet above ground level. I've often found sunflower seedlings in that garden box and chalked it up to birds dropping seed (I feed them), but I know what those things look like.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Not seeing it head on, and in ground, I am guessing it is a Rumex. Most likely curly dock. Considered a weed by most, and food by few, it has an edible history during wars, depressions and pandemics. With the current state of things perhaps you should have saved it. That said, plants with tap roots of any size do not like being dug up or torn apart during transplanting. This is why gardeners have problems when transplanting those crowded containers of nursery parsley, arugula and dill seedlings.

Edited to say cool dog!

This message was edited Jun 6, 2020 6:05 PM

This message was edited Jun 6, 2020 6:08 PM

Erie, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, MaypopLaurel! Googled curly dock and read up on it; I think you are right about the identification of that plant. I'm still a bit mystified as to how it got into my veggie garden -- perhaps, per your suggestion, it snuck in with something else that I bought from the nursery. Well, it was the only one and it's gone now! My planter box is now safe for the neighbor's cow to graze on, lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.