SOLVED: Carrot in my flower garden?

Payson, UT

I recently moved here and don't know most of what's been planted. I was weeding the irises when I pulled a tall plant that has a root that looks like a cultivated carrot. Dark magenta on the outside and bright orange interior. Tall stalk with soft hairs all along and leaves like Queen Anne's Lace second year plants. Flower head at the top of the stalk preparing to bloom but not there yet
Is this an edible variety of carrot? Just a carrot-like weed? What is it?

Thumbnail by Smile4iluvya Thumbnail by Smile4iluvya
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

bump

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

It is either a carrot (Daucus carota) or possibly an American Wild Carrot (Daucus pusillus). Wider possibilities include the other genera in the Apiaceae family such as Ammi, Visnaga, and Anthriscus. Just for your information, Queen Anne's Lace IS a carrot (Daucus carota), just not a very nice one to eat! Many of these plants are biennial - putting their efforts into the taproot first and then flowers later. As a consequence, any carrot will become woody and inedible once they start to flower, as they are then using the resources from the tap root to power the flowering stem.

Carrots, and their relatives which are left to go on and flower in the garden will make prolific seeds and will certainly self sow if given the opportunity to do so. I would be having a good look around to see if you have some more of these plants in your garden. The other possibility is the seed head may have been carried into your garden by an animal or bird - the seed cases are often rather prickly and can attach themselves to pets or clothing.

Ciao, KK.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.