Carrort, Beets remain in seedling stage

Portland, OR

Hello:

I had a new garden bed last year and I dont know the type of soil/compost and mix the landscaper put in the bed.
When I planted beet roots, carrots they did not grow beyond seedlings for the entire year. other grown plants that I bought like bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber etc struggled to grow big or produce any fruit/veggies.

I thought the soil was too hot (may be due to too much compost mixed by landscaper) last year but I am still having same problems this year. the landscaper claims that it is right mix and i have no way to dispute. Last year the only plants that did well were bean plants.

As i am planting this year, I am putting new soil around the plants. some grow and some are not - especially the beets/carrots have not grown beyond seedlings yets - which makes me worry about how the plants would grow when we plant others from containers? Should I replace soil or add N only or NPK fertilizer

any guidance or help will benefit immensely! .. thanks

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Guidance should be obtained from your local extension service based on soil sample tests. There's no way to know what comprises your growing medium. NPK is only one of several components. What is the soil pH?

Beets and carrots are biennial. When did you plant? When did you expect harvest? Did you transplant root vegetables? They should be direct sown.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.