Morning Glories 2020 #05

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1531953

Aug 2015

This message was edited May 18, 2020 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread Jackie.
Beautiful blooms.

Thanks Linda.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda from the previous thread.
Pretty blooms from 2015 Jackie.
I have blooms from last 2 days in collages.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Pretty blue's in collage # 4 Helena, and your Milky Ways looking good too.
Gorgeous blue pea vine and Salvia's. I like that big'lavender bloom
with lite stripes in # 3.
If I don;t hurry and move my pea vines out in the fresh air, sun and warm rain, I;m going to lose them, they're still sitting on my window sill inside

Beautiful morning glory and flower blooms Helena. Love all the colors.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.
Hope to get a chance to get your pea vines outside Jackie. I know how hard it is to do some things, I have that problem too.
These bloomed today. The colors are a lot better than the pics show.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, those are beautiful. Bright beautiful colors.

Your blooms are gorgeous Helena.
I did pot up my pea vines, they were still in 8 oz cups..
Will take them outside tomorrow
and hope we get some sun. I notice that my mg sds planted in the pro mix don;t all look good. Might have to use my Fertilome or sd starter instead of the pro mix..

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.
Glad you potted up the pea vines Jackie, hope you get some sun too.
We had some rain the other day. It's getting very humid here, we do get lots of sun.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Love your blooms this morning Helena. Gorgeous hige in # 1 and beautiful blue mg in # 2. I know you told us its name but no way I can remember now, Pretty passion flowers and pea vine.too. nice collection of lily's.
Cloudy here with chances for rain going up every day
Found one of my cats dead under the porch Wed. Still don;t know what could of
killed her. No obvious signs, maybe a snake.We're devastated, she was 13 yrs old.

Beautiful flowers Helena.

Jackie, sorry to hear about your cat. ((((((((HUGS))))))))

Thanks Linda, Now I;'m worried about all my other cats
We've had some raccoons acting crazy, new momma's with small babies etc.
We wonder if a raccoon could have attacked her but they've never bothered her before. The worst thing is not knowing what happened.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat Jackie. That is a sad part of living, I know it's awful to loose a pet. Hope you feel better.
I only had these blooms this morning that I took pictures of.

Thanks Helana,
Lovely blooms,= and a beautiful Tecoma stans. The ants carried scale all
over mine and I almost lost it. I love your bluish-purple mg.and your Milky Way.
We had storms blowing thru all night dumping tons of rain, we had the same thing a couple of nights ago.

Beautiful blooms Helena. I love that orange rose.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda. Hope you are drying out from all the rain Jackie.
I got of of the same blooms. Jackie have you got any luck with your mgs. I haven't started any more, so disgusted with the bugs sucking the energy out of mine that I just don't feel like growing any more mgs. My blooms on the nils are starting to get more defects every day.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful blooms Helena. Sorry to hear you are having problems with the bugs.

Absolutely beautiful mg blooms and tropicals Helena. Love the white with soft pink and the incredible blue, nice pinks too.As long as you're getting such lovely blooms,. i wouldn;t worry about the lvs Although 1 yr mine got so bad, ithe bug damage distorting my blooms and I finally had to spray and use a systemic. Bayer systemic killed a bunch of my plants that yr. Used to much I guess. I like bonide better as it told me how much to use by the pot size and I didn;t overdo it.
My mg's don;t look good, they;re weak and lifeless looking.I don;t like the pro-mix for my mg's, so I;m going to buy more of the Fertilome.My mg's love the Fertilome.
I;m sure you;re hotter temps there Helena attracts more pesky bugs.

Grandpa Otts yesterday. Poitted it up in Pro-Mix, now I;m losing a bunch of lvs

Thumbnail by patootie

Beautiful grandpa ott bloom Jackie.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.
Pretty bloom Jackie. Can you explain how the systemic works Jackie. Is it a spray, which I think I used last year. It seems the spray I used on the leaves this year hasn't helped at all. Hope you find the Fertilome soil for your mgs. I've bought my soil from WM this year, soil from lowes had some mold somehow from sitting out outdoors when I bought it previous years.
Blooms from this morning.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful blooms Helena. I love that large blue one in the 2nd group.

Thanks Linda, having a hard time with my mg's this yr, they look awful in the pro-mix
I have a Plumeria that will open a bloom soon. Out of 9 plummies,
only 1 with buds, so hard for me to get them to bloom, very disappointing,.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

well by golly, there's a name I recognize....Hi Linda Taters 55 ..... I've been away for awhile and am hoping to join in again.....I will be planting MG's tomorrow to grow up my garden fence so will watch this thread daily....good to see you guys !

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Patootie so sorry to see you've lost your cat .... the loss of our babies is always so hard especially when they've been with you as long as yours was....please know I care .

Hey Depsi. Glad to see you posting.

Helena, don;t know how I missed your post. Beautiful out of this world Blue Saz.
Mine didn;t even sprout. Will try a different pkt from a different yr. Love your other blooms too esp the blue mg in 2 different patterns. Lovely lily;s and Hibiscus too.

Thanks Depsi

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies.
We have been getting rain finally, sun is coming out though today.
I spotted a magnolia bloom facing my yard so had to take a pic.
Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with your mg seeds and the plumerias too.
I don't think I had much luck growing them in the past, though the blooms are really pretty.
My bloom for today.

Good luck on growing your mg on your fence Depsi. I'm sure they will be pretty.

This message was edited May 27, 2020 8:31 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful blooms Helena.
Just realized I didn't answer your question yesterday about the systemic.
It's in powder form and you sprinkle it on top of the soil in your pot careful not to let it touch the stem. Then you water it in and it goes down and comes back up (absorbed) thru the roots, killing anything that's feeding on the stems, lvs, etc. You have to be careful with it though, made by Bayer which is Monsanto. The last yr I used it, it killed over 20 of my mg's.I tried to be careful with the amt I used. I should have just used maybe 1/3 of their recommended application..

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie for the info. Can you post a picture of the container it's sold in. I would be afraid of it killing my mgs too. This year I have far less but I'm very frustrated with these bugs. This morning I found one of my purpureas without most of the leaves so I probably have a caterpillar or slug munching on the leaves.
My blooms this morning, yesterday I found one ready seed pod on a vine that is done and another seed pod that was ready today. This year I'm seeing far less seeds forming on the vines too. The mgs vines that I grew inside didn't make any seeds either and I did try to hand pollinate some too. So will not do that again with any rare or special vines again.

Helena, those are so pretty. Beautiful colors.

You're welcome Helena. I have a bottle around here somewhere..
Its a blue plastic bottle with a handle, I;ll try to get a pic.
Agreeing with Linda, pretty blooms. Can't believe you're already getting seed pods
Every yr it has been such an effort to even get mg's planted and this yr I'have failed miserably. I;ll just keep trying though. I have other seeds I;m trying to start, Podranea's and Lavatera's. Lowes wanted 59.00 for their Lavatera in a huge pot so
I'll try to grow 1 from seed.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie.
I went to Lowes to see what I could find. There was no Bonide or Bayer systemic. There was BioAdvance systemic, I should have read the directions at the store. It seems it's dangerous to pets and humans... it's also child proof to seniors too, I can even open it. I bought neem oil spray so I sprayed my mgs for now.
Hope you get some mgs going Jackie too. I checked prices on plants too, seems ridiculously high some roses going for $30.00. I'll wait till they go on sales rack when people won't buy these.

Flowers are expensive here too. Hanging baskets are scarce, and start at $30.00 for petunias. None came home with me.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone, I'm a re-subscriber to dg, after having left when the new owners took over. I decided to see if they finally worked all the bugs out of their system, lol. Anyway, is it too late to plant morning glory seeds? We had so much weird weather, (hot, cold, frost, hot, cold again, hot again) that I'm just now getting out in the garden. I'm in in the northern tip of Kentucky, in 6a. Thanks!

Hey there. Glad to see you back on DG.
I don't think it's too late. You might get some summer blooms. Never hurts to try.

Helena, the systemics are always dangerous with a warning not to let it run off into water sources, streams etc. I loved the Bonide, it never killed my plants and it always took care of the bugs I;m surprised you couldn't find the Bayer systemic. Maybe Bayer under so much criticism for killing the bees that they finally pulled it off the market.
Ky Woods you could always start a few in small pots, moving them up as they grow and that way you could take them inside to finish booming and to gather seeds
before winter sets in,

Gautier, MS

Glad to see you KyWoods, I don't think it's late to sow mg seeds either. You might want to try some purpureas too, seems they can take a bit more of cool to cold weather.
Jackie, I read the warning and it's alarming. Wish Lowes still had the Bonide too. Well, seems that the Neem oil helped with the bug problem on the vines that I sprayed yesterday. I need to spray my other vines.
A few blooms for today.

Helena, pretty blooms. Love the hige and the pretty blue and white with dark eye.
The Bonide carried that scary warning too Helena but it worked and did not kill my plants
Going to try and plant a few seeds today.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie.
Hope you got to plant some seeds Jackie. I'm soaking a few mgs too to start. see how it goes from 2015 seeds. If I use the systemic I will use just a tiny bit.
Mgs this morning. Have purple beans and snow peas ready to pick too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.