SOLVED: Invasive Root

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have this invasive root(?) growing in my organic vegetable garden. At first I thought it was dodder, but it does not grow over my plants, but spreads underground. Last summer, my plants seemed to turn yellow and die, but I thought it was due to the drought in my area. I live near coastal New Jersey; zone 7A. I tried to pull it out of my garden, but it breaks off and is impossible to get it all. It has attached to the few weeds that are growing (we’ve had an extremely mild winter), and also to the wood railroad ties surrounding my garden bed. I’m attaching a photo so you can see what it looks like when I pull up the mulch.

Thumbnail by gailbon Thumbnail by gailbon
Richmond, TX

Can you trace it back to some tree/shrub growing nearby?

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

There aren't any trees growing within 50 feet of this garden. It's a raised bed surrounded by asphalt and cement.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

I should add that I got the soil and mulch from our county recycling center about 7-8 years ago, right after Hurricane Sandy. I didn't really notice an issue with this stuff until a year or two ago.

Richmond, TX

Okay, now I am equally mystified. I hope someone solves the puzzle.

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

bump

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

gailbon needs to post some additional information.

We know nothing about the site conditions, what else is growing in the vicinity, or anything else.

A raised bed is not immune to infiltration of root system of plants growing nearby. Mature trees within 50 feet could easily have roots growing past pavements, as could plants much nearer. Show us what is going on in the overall context, already!

A raised bed, irrigated, with improved soil conditions, is a Mecca to woody plant roots. Given the opportunity, they would infiltrate and overwhelm such an environment in a heartbeat.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

the yellow color .. I think Morus alba has yellow roots.. a very common volunteer tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.