Journal March 12

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good morning. I just came in from my 1 am lamb check. Tonight a ewe had triplets but one was real tiny and died en route to the barn. I think it was mostly dead when I picked it up, and what appeared to be life out in the field in the dark was really last gasps. I had waited for this ewe to finish lambing so these were warm babies. The two other lambs are doing well. The wind is still blowing tho not nearly as strong as for the past 3 nights and days. It gets a little old! Yesterday I ended up helping when I went to the barn. Then I did the 6 pm check and brought in a ewe with twins, and a yearling who was walking around with a lamb's feet and nose sticking out and didn't have a clue. I brought part of the flock that was near her into the barn and got her caught with a leg hook. A little pull on one of those feet and she had a lamb, then a few minutes later there was a 2nd one. Those little yearlings are so slim they usually don't even look pregnant. Where do they hide twins in there? She is a sweet little mamma, and calm too! Now I had better get back to bed. Hope all of you have a good day. Count your blessings.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!