injured pigeon - need advice

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Good morning ~

Yesterday my DD found a cat attacking a pigeon on our front step. She scared the cat away, and the pigeon is sitting in an empty 50 gal fish tank (that housed several visiting frogs during the summer). The pigeon appears to be ok, although it looks like some of its feathers were shredded and it cannot fly. We put a bowl of water and some bird seed in the cage, but last night it was too scared to do anything but cower in a corner. I'm hoping that today, when it is bright out and everyone is at work/school that it will eat and drink and get some rest. Anyone have any advice on rehabilitating this bird and setting it free again? The wild life center says they don't rehabilitate pigeons. Since it is wild-born, we don't want to keep it caged any longer than needed.

thanks.
karla

Karla,can you borrow a regular birdcage from a friend? We raised birds on the farm(also pigeons)

Every day before school,weather permitting,we'd take the cages out to the garage where there were hooks under the eves to hold them. In the evening after supper,we'd bring them back inside'

It needs time to rest and mend without any further trauma. If you put it out now injured just easy prey again' Please keep little ones away also as they do upset birds,sorry'

I'm a rehabber and have kept many a bird confined in order to heal and then release outside again'

One last thought,perhaps a pet store or zoo may help with grain/more tips to help you' I'd give them a call' HTH, Sis'

Thanks, Sis. No bird cage, unfortunately, but the aquarium has a screen top (since it housed frogs not fish), so there is some amount of air circulation. When we are home, we put a towel over the cage, and the bird seems much happier. My 16yr old takes the towel off the tank as everyone walks out the door for the day. Looks like the bird seed is being eaten, but can't tell about the water. There was bird poop to clean up, so I'm assuming the digestive track seems in order.

I have generic bird seed that has i-don't-know-what. It's been eating it, but is that healthy enough for it? Also, it seems strong enough, but will it's muscles grow weak w/o excersize? We're thinking of making a chickenwire run for it on the back porch about 3'x3'x3'tall with a perch we can move up. Thought we'd set it like a few inches off the ground first, so it can just hop up. Then maybe put another one 6 inches up, and as it gets stronger, keep raising one of them a little higher.

Poor DH is getting just a bare taste of the managerie we'll have when we finally move to the country!

That sounds good Karla and if it's eating even better' As for exercise,give him/her some time,still in shock probably' The run really is great and also if there is another cat around might put some wire over the top to protect it better' Cats have "ways" of getting birds,lol'

My DH through training/patience has learned when I say,"NOW",THAT MEANS ACTION,LOL' He now enjoys helping me in a pinch' Spring gets really busy with the critters too,babies falling from nests,on and on'

Country life for us is great' You'd have to drag me back to the city,kicking and screaming,lol' Keep us posted too on the patient,ok???

I've heard that birds under stress sometimes pluck out their own feathers. This pigeon has plucked out some of it's torn feathers, but it doesn't appear to have plucked out any good ones. Is this normal? we also covered 1/2 of the aquarium with a towel, and he/she seems happier that it has a hiding place.

Cats are doing a number on the pigeon population around here, but part of it is probably because we have so many (cats and pigeons).

I don't know how I ever survived moving back to the suburbs. I sure do miss rural georgia. Going back - 2 1/2 years to go! Bills nearly paid off! Kicking out the first of the kids in a year and a half ;-) and another on the year after - and then we're outa here (the youngest one is getting dragged along with us)

It's normal Karla not to worry' Love Georgia(jawja lol) am running away tomorrow for Tn.to work with DH and see my youngins' Bills paid off,ya win the lottery? Just kiddin' and good luck,know how you're suffering. We also gave up the "fast lane" now over 20 yrs. and no regrets. "We're From The Country and We Like It That Way" :D

Well, sadly, for no apparent reason, the pigeon died this afternoon. Perhaps it had internal injuries that we could not help. At least it seemed to have a quiet death. It had been walking around and making coo-ing sounds the last few days, and eating and drinking. Had itself a little nest, and then just went to sleep this afternoon and didn't get up.

Thanks for all your help with the pigeon. At least I think we made it's final days warm and peaceful.

I'm not from the country - suburbian born & raised - but I spent 6 years in rural jawja and a year in Savannah, and I was spoilt rottn! Ate my first real peach there, and fell in love with biscuits and gravy and grits. I think in a former life I must have been born country! I didn't even mind the odors from the dairy farm - mmm, that whole fresh milk was worth it (no wonder I gained 60 lbs when I was preggers - all that fresh, whole milk, butter and cream!) Been planning our going back for years!

I'm so sorry Karla but you did your best' It's last days were peaceful and that's what counts'
I know how hard it is for you too wanting to get back to the basics(country) When someone says"ya can't go back home",I always say why? Home is where the heart is in my thinking' My DH's family had a dairy farm mine wasn't as fancy,we sidelined with a family trucking business. Oh yes, loved the cream on my cereal and fresh food all the time,Heaven'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.