Kale Starters

Mesquite, TX

I bought leggy kale starters (not a lot of choice out there now) for winter garden. Will they eventually grow and fill in and be healthy, or are they doomed to be spindly forever?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They will be tall and spindly. But top should grow out normally. Worse case the plant will tilt over unless propped

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have never had a problem burying spindly brassica stems, specifically kale, cabbage and broccoli, a few inches. You might try it with a couple of plants.

Dublin, Ireland

Hi All,

did not read the instructions properly and ended up planting 50 leek seedlings, 50 kale and 50 cabbage seedlings. They are sprouting now and look like they are ready to be transplanted but i only have space for 1/3 of them.

What should I do? Throw away the other 2/3 of them or is there a work around?

thanks!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I would plant about 5cms apart and let them grow until they crowd. Thin alternate plants as they grow. Continue until properly spaced for variety. Add thinnings to salads or on sandwiches. They are tender at that stage. Likewise young cabbage. An option is to thin but leave them closer than recommended, frequently harvesting lowest leaves, so you have few leaves on long stalks.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.