Autumn planting of trees? Shrubs? zone 7, Brooklyn NY

Kensington, NY

I am trying to find information about planting trees and shrubs NOW in my Brooklyn backyard.
We are having a very warm autumn with occasional dips into below freezing that last one night, the next day it is back up to 55 + daytime, 40 + night temps.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi HeatherY,
The below article by Davey tree care (a good source of info on trees), provides some general guidelines that might prove useful. While they don't specifically talk about your area or zone (are you in Zone 7?), they do make suggestions based on soil temp, whether or not trees in your area still have leaves, etc.. Hope this helps.

http://blog.davey.com/2016/10/when-is-it-too-late-to-plant-a-tree-in-fall/

Kensington, NY

Thanks for the link, looks like good reading. By now, in January, we are still having dayitme temps in the 40's and this weekend they will be in the low 60's. My rose canes are green and my lilac is trying to leaf - it has leaf buds.
If it continues warm like this bug season will be extra long and bad, with a potential for a horrible hot summer, and if we get a freezing polar inversion due to our poor stressed jet stream failing us then the plants get stressed and maybe die.
This is awful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.