CLOSED: Shore birds spotted near a pond in Dubai

dubai, United Arab Emirates

I think these are migratory birds we see them here only near the early morning hours at this time of the year. Any idea what birds these are? I thought herons but not sure which ones.

Thumbnail by vanita79 Thumbnail by vanita79
PERTH, Australia

Check out Black-winged Stilt. Certainly Stilts in the first picture. Not sure about the bird in the second shot. It looks like its bill could be curved upward, but it might be the pattern of the water.

Thank you yes the bird I saw looks quite like the black winged stilt. Except that the one I saw had yellow legs but I see most of the stilts have pink legs... does that matter?

PERTH, Australia

I'm not an expert and we have only a couple of Stilt species here, including the Black-winged Stilt. I've never seen one with yellow legs. Is the bird in the second shot the one with yellow legs?

No the first one had yellow legs. It was definitely yellow legs. But I agree it looks a lot like stilts.

The second one, might be a gull or maybe an immature stilt.

No the first one had yellow legs (or orange). It was definitely yellow/orange legs. But I agree it looks a lot like stilts.

The second one, might be a gull or maybe an immature stilt. It's beak was very small.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2019 5:59 AM

PERTH, Australia

Nature does throw out anomalies. A Google search might be a good option. I had a look online and there is a Stilt Sandpiper that has yellow legs and another bird called a Greater Yellowlegs. I didn't go as far as checking if they're found in Dubai.

Thank you Margaret. Yes I saw those two birds on google too. Thanks.. Dubai does attract sandpipers but I think I'll settle with stilt. Yes it was a stilt.

PERTH, Australia

I hope I've been helpful. All the best and happy birding.

Thankyou

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.