Propagating a Butterfly Bush

Irwin, PA(Zone 6a)

Hello all, Has anyone had any real success in propagating a Butterfly Bush from a cutting?
I have done it before, but the formula is forgotten.
Was following different methods online (in dirt, in water), and am having ZERO success.
Is it to late in the year? Does Rootone have a shelf life?
Any info would be a great help...

Thanks, hm

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry, wasn't aware you had posted. It would be better done in the Spring, after frost danger of course, but your problem may be this wierd weather - too cool, too rainy, too long, I don't use Rootone, but it has taken me as long as 9 months to layer wild grape vines- just letting nature talk the vine into taking advantage of water in a drouth, chuckl. Patience sometimes pays off, but weather matters.

Irwin, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank You

Fort Worth, TX

Butterfly bush is chrysanthemum, semi tender stalk, I dip in a rooting hormone and then moist soil. Not trying to do it this year as no room for more bushes and no time to keep moist. It does take patience. If I had room now that I maintain a bog in my little greenhouse, I would try to root it on there.

Irwin, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks to all that answered...Will make a go of it next spring.

Houston, TX

very nice achievements from the post.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have one I grew from a cutting I'm planning on bonsaing. I'll be trying both water and dirt using hormone and kelp extract. Illegal to sell in Washington state but I've recently seen some plants at a local nursery that are labeled Summer Lilac. Looks alot like butterfly bush.

Fort Worth, TX

They sell Vitex in Texas as "Texas Lilacs". It's kind of invasive.

Irwin, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks to all

Fort Worth, TX

my buddleia don't self sow, but I don't have a sprinkler system, I'm in North Texas, we get seasonal droughts and the bed the butterfly bush is in is one that I rarely water, most plants being native. (maybe all are except the buddleia)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.