CLOSED: A Bluebird with Finch wing markings?

Aurora, CO(Zone 4b)

This time of year brings me Grosbeaks, Towhees, and now a new one that I haven't seen before. Can anybody help with an ID on this bird. Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by thestones15 Thumbnail by thestones15
Gahanna, OH(Zone 6b)

Appears to be an indigo bunting

Aurora, CO(Zone 4b)

Doesn't look like the Indigo Bunting is indigenous to Colorado. However, the Western Bluebird is the closest match - and many trees have been felled in my area recently. I think I may be getting some homeless overflow, per the attached Grosbeak shots. Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by thestones15 Thumbnail by thestones15 Thumbnail by thestones15
Gahanna, OH(Zone 6b)

If you look at the difference in bills, I’m still leaning towards the indigo bunting. They do appear infrequently in your state, per the Audubon website.

This message was edited May 9, 2019 10:01 PM

Boston, MA

This is Passerina cyanea (Indigo Bunting) indeed.

Aurora, CO(Zone 4b)

Thank you for your numerous responses. I kept the thread open since "indigenous" doesn't necessarily preclude other possibilities. My assumption turned out to be entirely incorrect. I've had several knowledgeable birders identify my pretty little guest as a male Indigo Bunting. I appreciate your help! Going to post here a few shots of the adorable Black-headed Grosbeaks that showed up along with a Lesser Goldfinch (supposedly also not indigenous to Colorado). Thanks again.

Thumbnail by thestones15 Thumbnail by thestones15 Thumbnail by thestones15 Thumbnail by thestones15

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.