Plant propagation discussions-April 2019

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Time for a new thread...from where we were...

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1495412/

Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt Nice garden bed !!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Dedicated leftover refurbished stuff, Joe, still have a few hard jobs to getting it where I want it.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Magnificent job Kitt. You need to put a door on two sides and plant potatoes. Then you can open the door, harvest and close the door. What an undertaking and great job. Can you tell I'm impressed.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have my son in law to thank for carpentering skills, chuckl, I am playing labor by scrubbing boards, clearing weeds, stacking bricks, poking plants around and angle aligning. My daughter has been critiqueing and changing plans, but at least I have her approval before everything is set in stone, chuckle.
@ My sisters home, we had a different type of muscle and access to different resources. My daughter seated the bricks and Marge and I forked the hay and soil from the pasture into place. It is where I planted my spare tomato plants. She donated an old sheet as a wind break, there is a lot more wind there. The bricks were from tearing down parts of the old house they have spent a year flipping it the way they want.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt Definitely a lot of work there

season only beginning here
Lillium
Daffodils
iris
Dahlia

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Those bricks definitely needed a few hands on deck Kitt. Lots of work. Ju, I see spring. I will empty my phone of pics later, nothing new right now on the hard drive. Except ponds. There are ponds.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

That house they lived in as repairs went along, helped them clean the heavy rains into french drains, set her kitchen and rooms as she wanted. My phone died and my pix of the wall behind their soapstone wood stove made from area bricks is all gone. Will have to go back up and retake pix of the different brickyard stamps and those antiques on the wall....antiques because you won't catch me using hand operated hay hooks. Ponds Gypsi, lots of chilly ponds.

Fort Worth, TX

very chilly ponds, but they will all look nice for easter and all summer long

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

55 cold and windy though getting ready for rain ..
1 Tiny Tim seeds from Debra
2 Hyacinth at the ready
3 Daffodil at the ready
4 Cup plant
5 primadonna Echinacea Planted last fall

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

tiny baby echinacea. I should post pics but I think I will just up pot my seedlings. I can't get my pink milkweed to germinate, just going to toss them out last fall. Lots of asclepius tuberosa, and those yellow zinnias I thought were some rare flower last year, I kept some seed and they are outgrowing their starting pots

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi Sometimes the pics mode is just not there
I cut the rose of sharon out yesterday as all they have been is beetle chum the last two seasons , I will grow some annuals in there place this year ,
I have half gallon pots full of greens starting first up a mustard , and a pot of nettle that has been growing for a week ,
trees and shrubs are budding ,,
Echinacea white swan , not to happy ,
and another hyacinth

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

That echinacea looks a bit moist, mine seem to like it a bit dryer. If that helps any.

All my rose of sharon's die. My neighbor whose yard sits lower has healthy ones.

Another day another pond

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mustard sprouts

Another pond is good ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Heavy humidity and the storms are north of me, one more trip to the garden after I rest will get the old cinderblock bed out of the ground. Had a friend visit me and rescue some of the peppermint plants, a parsley, oregano, and a basil. The girls ooohed and ahhhed over those fat Black Swallowtail cats. I had to take a break and let the condensation dry up, chuckl.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

First to bloom and a couple little plants

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I worked in the courtyard again. Third day. But I am old and it is a large courtyard. I did get a new pot painted and planted. I will post a photo. I have been in the same area of the courtyard 3 times because I keep changing things. And because I was in the front area had neighbors stop by to chat. Vern was watching baseball so he was entertained and I could see him from the courtyard. I went over my "Vern" curfew and was out there until 4:30.

Kitt, our humidity today was probably 5%. We do not have much humidity. That is why they call it a dry heat. Suppose to be 90 by Tuesday but moving back down into low 70s due to wind coming in. My sister and her husband arrive from Ventura, Ca Tuesday and leave on Saturday. Niece's husband is getting his 20 year pin with the police department. So using that to get a family get together done.

JU, blooms look good. Maybe some day your weather will warm up.

My onions, twice planted, are coming up. I have a shallot that is taking off but it is being overrun with the creamer potatoes.

First photo is new pot. Second photo is Cecil laying in the middle of a pot of spider plants. I am right next to him digging up roots that had invaded the bed and he was watching. Third photo is area of courtyard that I did not get finished. Piles on the concrete are the roots that I have removed.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sharon 55 and rain here this Sunday suppose to warm up , it will be near 70 the next few days ,
Puppy looks comfy , Bowls look nice ,,

Kitt looking like lots of water in Texas .. fennel and wild carrots for the SWT cats here

Willow buds and Tiny Tim tomato starts ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Cat on the dill is abt to go in hiding, beans up- so very old these beans I wasn't sure if they would ( it took 7 days and this is a red noodle bean supposedly). Cukes up yesterday(6 days) and after this gully washer coming at us, I need to get the trellis up for them. Cinderbrick garden pulled up, leveling and realigning to set anew. Prudens Purple tomato trying to bloom, the sun sugar blooms are out and waving in the air, chuckl.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

One of my lotus seeds in the aquarium with 3 goldfish, in rockwool, has sprouted! I didn't use a file, just scratched with scissors to thin shell slightly. There is hope!

Oxdrift, Canada

That sounds like quite an accomplishment Gypsi!

Fort Worth, TX

It's a first and not for lack of trying Keith

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Congrats Gypsi! That would tickle me.
Tomatoes coming on from the store bought Husky Cherry Red, the Tumbling Tom is loaded and has tiny tomatoes, I have to water everyday on these 2. Watched a hummingbird search for neactar on the crimson clover last evening- my dau and I were discussing why cameras are never near. I am hoping this is mojita mint returning from roots, has a deep musky mint aroma and I cannot remember how many plants I expected to lose after planting last year, so am stumped.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

If you run out of mojita mint - you are welcome to mine Kitt. It is interesting but getting a bit more aggressive than I'm happy with. I got it at a DG roundup

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Am looking for eau d'cologne mint- hoping it has yet to come up from under the rootbeer plant. Gypsi, what does your mojita smell like? I don't remember it having this deep musky smell- and I could have been trying, say catnip...It wasn't expected to show up- especially with all I have tossed in dirt this Spring to get these beds laid out.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt I don't know about any of those . I am enjoying all those plant and flower and garden pix that your showing ,

1 Cherry Blossom
2 invasive yellow violet ,
3 cup plant sprouting
4 tiny Tim tomatoes
5 Fennel

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tiny Tim above are from Debra . Only one of three Cherry cuttings tried for is budding
Spider plant
Convulos Mustard
Dill
leeks
Pineapple sage

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

3 is lillium up and coming
5 a white muscari
others are Hyacinth bloomed
4 the Bee Balm around the white Hyacinth is sprouting up ,

where is Debra .. we lost a people ,, like Jen ,, Big Sigh ...

Fort Worth, TX

Beautiful bulbs. We do keep losing people but sometimes we get new ones, like SunKissed and the person from south Texas whose handle I forget

Oxdrift, Canada

You are really on a roll Ju.
Yes it is disturbing how we are losing people. It has been quite a while since Sunkissed has been around too and the new Canadian, Phoenix?? seems to have dropped off the map already. I'm not recalling the one from south Texas Gypsi.
Not much happening here, fresh snow again this morning. I have the greenhouse up and running but not requiring a lot of work yet. I have been building a few birdhouses etc. to keep active

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am here. Sister from California has been visiting. We had over 50 mph gusts to days in a row. Played havoc on my cleaned landscape. My neighbors pine trees dumped all their seeds onto my property. Good thing I love my neighbors and those trees.

My coleus order showed up yesterday. I will unpack today and get ready to plant them on the weekend if it warms up. Cold front has moved in and we are in high 60s with wind. My sister leaves late Saturday so I will have more free time. We were suppose to get rain today but none so far. I had the outside of the windows cleaned last week so missing the rain would not be a bad thing.

I checked my oranges last night and all of the blooms did not blow off so might get some oranges if it warms up and the bees come out.

I did try to call Jen with no answer, phone no longer valid and sent an e-mail with no answer.

Sun has been on Fireside chat. My membership is up and I am going to renew because I would miss you guys. Dogs are at grooming and Vern is not out here yet for his breakfast/lunch so I had a free moment.

My roses and irises are about a week from being in full bloom. Hummers are everywhere in the back landscape. I have 3 feeders back there.

The photo is the debris I swept off the driveway from the big blow. I put my foot in the photo so you could see the size of the pot relative to my foot.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Thank you as you know and we have seen you do Some effort showing results ,,

Gypsi also , hoping the ground hog and moles leave a few ,,

Sharon it is windy like that here now , I will return more often as I get my health problems under control ,
On the garden scheme more mustard plants up and growing ,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Spent all day getting not much done at turtle speed- joints and legs swollen so bad. I actually took a tylenol for the first time in 2 years. Preparing a new base for the cinderbrick bed- I painted them and it looked so good against the other side, I flipped em and scrubbed with bleach- will paint that side too if it doesn't rain tonite and soak them down. Cut the metal fabric to size, but still need to get a board for a straight edge, as well as for leveling and packing the bricks base so they fit tite. Sorry Joe, I was going to take pix of my plants, but it kept slipping my mind today. At least my phone is back from 2 wks in the shop. I see people that are missing mostly heading in and out at NGA, but summer is playing us this year, and a lot of folks are busy just doing.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt take care with the aches and swelling , pix will only be more appreciated as they happen , sort 1st Hopes for better and 2nd all things worth waiting for

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Tumbling Tom cascading tomato pic 1&2. Loaded. Pic3 is my pineapple sage. Pic4 is the unknown aromatic. Pic5 is one of Debra's volunteer mgs. Not much more than a flower, chuckl.

Oxdrift, Canada

Love those tumbling Tom tomatoes Kitt. I grew them last year just in the raised beds. They were extremely productive but the fruit was so close to the ground and was always splashed with dirt from the rain. I planted 2 plants but one would have been more than enough for the 2 of us. What colour is your fruit. I believe there were 3 colours available here. My daughter's had requested some miniature yellow tomatoes so that was what I had. May try the hanging basket idea this year. Thanks for sharng that idea!

This message was edited Apr 13, 2019 1:06 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt Nice looking plants and flowers ,

I grew Tumbling Toms last year , about mid season ,, ground hog got them

Have the tiny tim yellow only getting started ,suppose to be in mid 30's tomorrow night so these have to stay in a few more days
I finally got the Nanking Cherries going More than half a dozen sprouting from a runner branch ,
3 cherry blossom
4 willow ..(salix Discolor

This message was edited Apr 13, 2019 6:12 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Keith, it was purchased as a basket, I set it off the shepherds hook since our winds were kicking up a ruckus. They are red- my daughter thinks other colors are just wrong, chuckl. Takes a lot of water in that pot every day. If you ground plant them- there is a trick of laying landscaping fabric around the lower growing plants like lettuce, collards, etc that helps reduce dirt splash. I have it tucked around the pineapple sages, too. Or we mulch around the plant which keeps em off the ground.
Joe, speaking of Frankensteins' nemesis- I think our dog and 2 cats are in a hunting contest. Remi has gotten 2 moles now- doesn't know what to do when he catches them, but he lets me do the honors after he tosses it a bit. Shadow cat has brought me a goldfinch and a rat sized spitting baby possum- and he brings them to the door, chuckl. Doodle brought me a fat mole too, but I think he thought it was broken and wanted me to fix it...I can tell the difference in the booty catches because Doo just plays with his food, Shadow partakes of the catch before sharing...
We had a cold front blow in this evening with bad storms north of me, 46* by daylight, worked on those bricks, my daughter and her hubby came in with a project for the garden and I have a paved walk going in. Pics later, gotta get feet up.

Fort Worth, TX

That wind was wicked here, didn't blow the hives down but I worried, about took the roof off the old shed before I threw some elm limbs on top to hold it down. That's a temporary fix. I have mice this year, haven't had mice here since 2005. some rats too.

I got a few seedlings out of the greenhouse, and rescued the cherokee purple tomatoes I bought and put in the new hugelkultur bed. Last winter I dumped rabbit cage hay and hen house sweepings in and I think way too much nitrogen. I lifted the plants and put bagged topsoil under the tomatoes then put them back in. This is a before picture. I think I see normal leaves developing on the top of 1, so far, in just a couple of days.

I don't worry too much about NGA, barely have time to check in here. Ya'll stay warm and anchored... this wind is something else

Thumbnail by Gypsi
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Boy Gypsi, looks like you dodged the bullet. My sister was here for 5 days and it as windy and cold all five days. The two of us love to sit on my back patio and talk. No such luck.

Every time I see semi-truck turned over because of wind or slick roads, I think of Kitt. Kitt, so glad you are gardening and not driving.

My oranges are still blooming and have a few blooms left and the bees are coming back so I might get some oranges. The fig tree is loaded. I will be planting my coleus I purchased from Rosey Dawn tomorrow. Housekeeper will be here so she helps keep an eye on Vern.

My taxes are done so I will run up and pick them up and go to the post office to post the check on the way to the treasury department.

I did not do much today. Just did not have it. Vern is being stubborn today and aggressive so I am just going with the flow.

I go to NGA about once a month. About the only thing I check in on is the succulents. But Pinterest has more into.

I did go outside and wash the aphids off two rose bushes. Only on two out of 8 in the back landscape, none in the front. I need my ladybugs and lizards to get busy. I have only seen a few ladybugs but my landscape is over run with lizards. I think it isa little early for the Praying mantis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.