Potting Quesiton

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

I have an orchid that lost a few leaves on the bottom. The stem is about and inch and a half above the root medium. I have been unsure of lowering the stem into the bark so not to have it rot. My question is can I set the stem into the bark up to the lowest leaves? I am a newbie at orchids and I don't want to kill it. It has a spike on it with three buds and I mist it regularly but it doesn't seem to be doing all that well. I feed it once a month.
Can anyone give me some advice.
Thanks

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

If it is in bud or spike, do not repot it. Wait until it is done blooming. Stop feeding it also when in bud.
Also I need to know what kind of Orchid it is.
It must be doing ok if it is in bud. Post a pic of the leaves and buds.
Sandy

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Here is a picture of my sickies. We have wood heat and I keep some of the orchids in an old terrarium for more humidity and switch them around every once in a while. The ones that aren't in it get misted daily.

The first picture is the ones that aren't doing well. The other is the terrarium with the rest of my orchids. I treat them all the same so I don't know why these are in such sad shape.

Sorry it took me so long to post. We have construction in our house right now plus my camera was dead.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Thumbnail by Ruth Thumbnail by Ruth
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

They are Phalaenopsis. They are either over or under watered.
I have had this happen also for no good reason. I would just soak the whole plant in
water for a few days and see if it perks up. Cut off any damaged leaves.
The one does need re-potting, only bury part of the main stem.

Check out this link.
https://orchidbliss.com/limp-leaves-watering-problem/

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks Daylily!! I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong. I water sparingly every week and once a month, I soak the roots for about 20 minutes then let it drain. Like I said, my house is very dry so I mist regularly. I suppose I am giving them too much water. I will try to repot the one with the 'long neck'. A bigger pot will work better so I don't break anything off, don't you think? Hope it can recover.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

It has been a while since I stopped by this forum. That's why I am answering so late.
Most orchids including Phals like small pots. One of the problems we have as hobbyist is the plant getting so top heavy after it gets growing. Forget about the calendar when watering. Phals like to be watered well, and then almost dry out before they are ready to be watered again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.