Just moved to Florida

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi,some of the old timers might remember me from years ago...but in September I moved to Cedar Key from Syracuse NY.... I am facing a whole new learning curve,and a lot of ....what is that plant? I tried to get in a small winter veg. garden....but nothing seems to be growing....I'm thinking the sand has very few nutrients , should I pull the plants up and put compost in, or would side dressing with compost work as well? Or a granular fertilizer? I brought many of my plants with me from NY,and yes,they were inspected in NY, with all the certifications and certificate. Most are in the ground or going in the ground, some i am putting like a hoop house over them ,probably heat the hoop house wth small propane heater of lights . Any sugestions?

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

crestedchik, Welcome to FL. Sand is low in nutrients and needs amending with a good compost. Raised garden beds are great to raise a vegetable garden. I tried winter veggies last year but we had a very cold winter and they didn't do well.

I am not much help with protecting your plants you brought from NY, best wishes, Cedar Key is a quaint little place.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks ,yeah,its small and quiet.....just what i needed. I'll grab compost tomorrow when I run into Gainsville

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.