Premarin Foals

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm just wondering if anyone farms horses for Premarin or has anything to do with the Premarin foals...?
Premarin is a hormonal drug for menopausal women. The premarin element comes from the urine of pregnant mares and the mares are bred for only that purpose..collection of urine for use in pharmaceuticals and only pregnant horses produce this hormone. The foals, when born, are often sent to slaughter since they are considered a by-product, sadly to say. There are many groups who are trying to find homes for these unwanted, healthy baby horses. I have a link below about the issue.
I'm curious if any farmers here deal with the Premarin issue..do you sell off the foals..send them away to auction? Or, on the other end...has anyone done any rescue/placement for these throw-away baby horses.
Trish
http://www.hihopes.com/premarin_info.html

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!