Front garden full of weeds, what\'s best to do this time of year?

Plymouth, United States

It's too late I think to plant much of anything. Maybe some small bulbs. But this small bed that is right in front of the house next to the small porch is literally full of weeds. If I dig them up, put fresh soil and maybe a small amount of gravel to mix into the soil will that be the best thing to do and at least make it ready for spring?

Can I just dig out the top foot and replace it with topsoil? Should I put anything else in there? Compost or anything?

At least it would look tidy and I could plant in the Spring.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Quote from Viburnum_summer :
Can I just dig out the top foot and replace it with topsoil? Should I put anything else in there? Compost or anything? At least it would look tidy and I could plant in the Spring.

Hi Viburnum,

Weeds are just unwanted plants and if that spot is literally full of weeds, the soil may already be pretty good. Do you have a place in mind for putting the soil if you dig it out? Keeping in mind that you might just be moving the weeds. Whatever you do, doing something now is preferable to waiting until Spring.

ZM

Plymouth, United States

Hi ZM,
No, it was just that there are so many roots from the weeds I couldn't imagine pulling them one by one. It had been left to go wild for over a year and I think there was a bird feeder there and a lot of these are from those seeds. But if I get soil that is loose from the weeds I can put it in a thin strip of woods that is in front of the house. That needs to be cleaned out too but I can't do that just yet.
The underlying soil is sandy so would it be worth it to add some compost now? Or just wait till Spring for that? I think I am going to purchase a few tulip and crocus bulbs and put them in there so there will be something growing in the Spring.
Okay, I'll tackle it now! Thank you.

Plymouth, United States

Hi again ZM,
I just realized that you may have meant the soil is fertile enough without having to add stuff to it. I'm a little slow today. :) Anyway, thank you again for the help!

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Quote from Viburnum_summer :
Hi again ZM,
I just realized that you may have meant the soil is fertile enough without having to add stuff to it. I'm a little slow today. :) Anyway, thank you again for the help!

You are welcome. Feel free to post pictures of your project as it progresses. Incidentally, I like sandy soil. The local soil here is sedimentary, so I add sand to it to approximate sandy loam. I am enclosing a picture of my sand pile. Click on the thumbnail to see a larger version. Some native Kansas sunflowers grew on it during the Summer. I will pull out the dead sunflowers, and probably apply more than half of the sand to my garden before next Spring.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.