Use of Rice Hulls as sub in Al\'s Soil Recipe

TERLINGUA, TX

Quite a few years ago I noted Al's recipe for container soils and his articles on moisture movement. I have used what materials I can obtain and made substitutes where materials were not readily available. I have since come across the use of rice hulls. I have experimented with them this past season and have some comments to make and would like Al's thoughts on the use thereof or anyone's thoughts as well..

It seems to me that many vendors are pushing the use of rice hulls (of course) and it also is my opinion that they will say what ever it takes to sell it. I've heard that rice hulls are great for aeration and drainage. I've also heard that they're also great for water retention. There seems to be no clear consensus on what they do exactly and then also the theory from some experts and vendors that the rice hulls use up nitrogen to compost into the soil. So...I bought two cubic feet of it and have only used a half of a cubic bag in my recipe. It does seem to retain water deeper into the container. The water seems to remain there for quite some time so that concerns me that it remains wet too long six inches below and very dry above and could promote root rot. Some of my plants don't mind wet roots but some do. Most of the native desert plants here that I have in containers are accustomed to a dry period between waterings. Others such as crop plants, tomatoes etc don't mind having consistently moist soil. So, that is my question and observation on the use of rice hulls for Al and anyone else who has had experience with this product.

The second question is about four one year old trees I purchased.
I have four small tree saplings I purchased at a plant sale at the Sul Ross University greenhouse. I think I made a mistake in transplanting them into a ten gallon pot too soon and too large of a container. They were in probably a three gallon container. One of them, is doing very well after I changed the water I was using. The local water is extremely high in salts (well water and it's a rental property I'm on). I noticed the saplings leaves on all of them browning and crisping at the edges. Then it rained and they responded immediately with new green leaves sprouting out. So, I pretty much realized that it must be the water. I now buy water in a 35 gallon tank in my vehicle once a week. One of them, the Ugnadia speciosa, has improved immensely with fully developed leaves and new growth and the brown edges have disappeared. The two Tracyi Hawthornes and Quercus buckleyi, are back in the danger zone. As soon as the effects of the rain were past the leaves began to crisp at the edges and fall off. I have flushed out the saltish water with the fresh water from another source that is reliable but they still languish.

I read Al's article just now on container potting up and re-potting and root-pruning. I think my next step I will take them out of the containers they are in, change the soil make-up with the 2/3 rds inorganic (I've been using the Cherry Stone #2 but that's not easy to get since it is out of stock on Amazon and freight is almost prohibitive but I've done it before Amazon began carrying it) this ties in with my rice hull question regarding whether it would be considered an inorganic or organic and would it hinder drainage if I use it in conjunction with perlite which I have on hand and bag garden soil. I am very remote so if I need something it is UPS'ed or FedEx'ed in (soil, containers, pine bark, everything since the soil here is solid bentonite clay). I would need to order the pine fines or pine bark. Amazon carries that but the source is not always reliable. Your thoughts? Thank you all.

The information on this forum is amazing by the way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.