correct alkaline soil

Longwood, FL(Zone 9b)

Does anyone have advice on how you have corrected your alkaline soil organically? I want to address my Florida soil that is testing as high PH (alkaline). I am reading articles on the web, but I am interested in actual experiences. What worked for you?

Los Angeles, CA

I read some advice from gardeninghowknow, motherearthnews, agreenhand and planetnatural. Then I decided to add organic compost to my garden soil. It was successful

Nicholasville, KY

Back to Eden garden
Paul states when using wood chips which is compost nature will balance your soil. I use compost then 6” of straw on top holds moisture and breaks down to compost. I have no till garden use a broad fork to just lift soil up to aerate because of heavy clay. For this once or twice a year. There is straw hay in garden 12 months out of the year. What you see is massive red worm population which again produces natural fertilizer and gives air to soil.

Kimberly, WI(Zone 5a)

I can only really echo what is said here. I have had the best results, on the long term, by ensuring there is a good organic content in the soil.. Without that, anything else seems like a waste of time and resources. I'm pretty new to employing wood chips in this effort, but what I've seen so far has given me cause to explore it in all the ways possible. It seems to be the easiest to employ and work with on a large scale as well, without the use of large equipment. Finding a few local fungi that devour chips can really improve your turnover time. My current favorite is the Harefoot Inkycap (Coprinopsis lagopus).. Edibles are my goal, but I haven't found a more eager one for the task yet, and these came with the chips!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.