Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Came from ;https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1480619/

Thought I would start a new thread this one of some age now ,
That and I have five seed sprouts of Primmadonna White Echinacea
Getting those has taken a while this time ,

Fort Worth, TX

And there is a September thread. Thank you Ju

My Cockscomb Celosia taking off
Bugs in boneset white mist flower, not sure which bugs in this one (thumbnail too small)
My Pride of Barbados is doing well.

found a snake skin in my attic today. only part of one. It's a really big snake

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Looking good Gypsi ,, My celosia were a little wilted when it started raining

These are my Germinated Echinacea , The Cheyenne Spirit I am still having Ground Hog trouble ,,
Like the first four , Nature makes you feel small , Like the Giant snake in the attic you might meet ,,lol eeek !

5 Feverfew

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, thats just par for the course in the deep south-never know when you'll find a snake draped across a doorknob, or falling out of a tree on ya...they are after all, chasing dinner thru the walls...
I spent the day making sure the septic pump wouldn't get fireants in it, pulling weeds and taking down the garden trellis. I have a bunch more to do tho. There must have been a rainstorm near me- we got wind enough to stir the dead leaves around and down, but no moisture. Gotta figure out when folks dig sweet taters- tho I don't think ornamentals have much taters...thanx for the thread Joe

Oxdrift, Canada

Have to post something to get notifications on new thread. There has been "frost on the pumpkin" and on everything else in Oxdrift. It's all over but the clean up

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Keith I have a couple small pumpkins and two more Echinacea , That I am hoping are large white Primadonna 7 planted in cups ,
It has rained here for 3 days and nights without stopping ,and still is ,,

I have Lupin , Nanking cherry Vetch and Hibiscus seeds still germinating in the fridge ,
An African foxglove just began to bloom yesterday ,
Ground Hog paid a visit and ate my Anemone , grrr ,

This message was edited Sep 8, 2018 8:51 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Rains comin across today headin north. In full sun and with thunder and downpours. My granddaughters wedding is under way, plans are under way that is. I have a skirt, and need shoes, but so verrry glad it is my daughter and granddaughter carrying the bulk of the arrranging, chuckl. Am just doing cleanups on the garden, Sept normal frost for you Keith?

Oxdrift, Canada

Yes Kitt, I always hope for later Sept. But this is not unusual. It was an odd year for us, slow start then extreme heat and very dry. Despite the lack of moisture we had the best tomatoes, canteloupe and corn ever. I guess heat is more important than rain???? Grass has been pretty brown for the later part though.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

We are up here in Buffalo, NY and it's been pretty hot until yesterday. I am wearing sweaters and socks so you know its kind of cool here. Glad to see you had good growing produce there Keith.
Kitt, how Blessed you are to attend the wedding of your Grand daughter!
Ju you are still planting things? awesome. Are you starting me a nan king cherry? LOL
Snakes are good, if you have mice or rats.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Computer ate my post I will try again later ,

these looked better yesterday , morning glories ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Two days of rainy cooler weather and seed sprouts do this , grow rapidly that is

Debra I am still trying with the Nanking Cherry seeds I will have to look at the cuttings when I trim back the shrubs this fall (soon ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

had grandkids all weekend. Life returns to normal

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Normal ,, hmmm What an idea lol

photo ) And I am a praying mantis ,, if anything is normal

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

instead of normal how about quiet except for barking dogs. (and they don't bark ALL the time.)

at some point I am going to get my pond rebuilt but bookkeeping outranks it. This chamber used to be a rectangle except for a concave front. Since the hidden inner walls are plywood looks like some moisture has affected them. Built in 2005, held up pretty well. top basin of my backyard pond. Dog - foster, and rats got to the back of the lower basin and this one had spread out over it, preventing me from changing liner. Now I go the rock off before the kids got here but I'm also in a bookkeeping crunch. so eventually I will reassemble. Fish are in the greenhouse tank

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Yup, had one of those flop down on me other day, I took it he wasn't happy to see me. Pictures while walking the yard, carpet of wild morning glories, turks cap, and Doodle dreaming of snow I suspect...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

My germinated Pink Mexican Bird of Paradise grew to about 5 inches, got true leaves and then croaked in just one day. I think to much moisture in the pot. Other 4 seed did not germinate. I have 5 seeds left. I will try one more time.

We are still in the hundreds but cool down should be here before end of September. I know cool down is coming because my Italian sweet pepper has started setting on and they do not set on until cooler weather is on the way. Have no idea how the plant knows. My tomatoes are starting to grow and will be setting tomatoes soon but the horn worms have returned.

Gypsi, that looks like a lot of work.

JU, I love praying mantis. They always shock me because my eyes do not pick them up with my brain not realiizng what I am seeing until they are right in front of me.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sharon, I suspect the angle and saturation of the sun affects photsynthesis in plants and lets them know to trigger their responses. My herbs have not made it successfully thru August, not all anyways, but I am busy trimming and drying rosemary and french thyme and flipping the garden again. Fennel is returning from cut down stalks, but my volunteer dill isn't showing yet. I am itching to burn the stuff in the burn pile, but now that the ban is lifted, the stuff is too soaked to burn, chuckl.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Posting so I don't loose ya all.
Debra, that is how it was in WV, pretty warm, but the last three days were very cool.

Ju, love the praying mantis pose ☺.

Keith, nice to hear you had such a good crop this year.

I went to a small neighborhood farmers market in West Virginia while up there and got some great tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant and huge yellow squash. I would've stayed longer but a hurricane changed my plans. Back in HOT FL now.

I took a couple hikes in WV and got some pics of wild growing things, maybe you all know what they are?

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Solanum first pic, 4th pic is elderberry and never can remember name of that hairy stuff

Oxdrift, Canada

Hi Sherri, thanks for stopping by. Nice to hear from you.
Fruit and leaves of second photo look to me like Hawthorne species (cratagus) but i cant see any thorns on the branches?

Oxdrift, Canada

Gazanias survived the frost and they are really enjoying our last really warm sunny day in the foreseeable forecast

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith your Flowers look nice

87 degrees here rather hot , Flowers a few
Wild aster
Wild Aster with Hairstreak
Maximillion sunflower
Zinnia
A wrong looking flower bed , but the toads , frogs m bees and butterflies like it

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Very nice Ju especially that very red zinnia.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith thank you , That zinnia a floraselect there are a few other like a yellow red striped candy cane ,
I am really glad the ground hog did not seem to like zinnia

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The blue with a white trim (hardly showing , a couple more Fuji type morning glory

4 is sunrise serenade
5 is from the weed patch , at the ready , Halloween is coming

Oxdrift, Canada

Nice selection of morning glories Ju and very nicely shaped pumpkin.

How's this for a crop of sweet potatoes grown this close to the north pole.
Something else enjoyed our unusual heat this year. I guess I gave up on watermelon too soon. LOL

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

I just saw a monarch butterfly flitting around the yard. I think it is a little disoriented. Don't see how it is possible for it to make the next leg of its journey in time to reproduce and have its offspring complete the trek to Mexico

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I like the Sweet potatoes Keith ,
Here things are sort of off with green space ,

Saw this today though , a Black Swallowtail larvae , be close if this makes it either
Today also was looking about at the red Gailardia in a small pot still alive and some very slow to start Echinacea , Planted some Purple sensation Allium bulbs also

This message was edited Sep 18, 2018 8:31 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Maybe the monarch is the offspring? I have had them here the last month but no caterpillars in spite of a lot of milkweed. I would worry if they laid eggs here and tried to have the young ready to make the migration.

home again, really loved the bright gazania, Keith. The garden looks great, Ju.
I see all kinds of butterflys, no cats here, lots of milkweed. everything looks to be winding down, I am sure I missed a lot of it due to working and being gone., Hoping all is safe and well in this crazy season we call Fall.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Debra , weed patch garden doing well Lots of butterflies and at least two kinds of cats , tee ,he he
1 and 2 (two kinds of cats

rest are Zinnia

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

here is the second cat once again ,,clearer 1

2 A sulphur butterfly in fall aster

3 morning glory , still growing

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Loving that yellow and red zinnias Ju

I love the cats , both of them! I am in the middle of a bee swarm here, they are everywhere getting as much food as they can get ..

Back home! So nice to be home. Garden was so dried up, think my sprinkler system didn't come on while we were gone.

Thanks for the ID help on my WV plants, Kitt and Keith.
Keith, nice sweet potato crop, and the Gazanias are so spectacular.
Ju, great catches of the cats, both kinds...LOL.

Lots of butterflies down here, just drove the back-roads home yesterday from Panama City beach, wildflowers all along the roadside attracting them, mostly sulphur and Gulf Frits. Saw two huge black bears in Ocala, one on our way up and the other on our way home. Both were quite big. People pull over and take pictures of them, but we didn't.

Welcome Home, Kitt! I bet you are glad you took that trip.. I love that route, as my sister and I did that. I love the wild flowers along the coast. If you want flowers let me know, it is time to thin mine out again.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

O no, no more flowers! I am thinning sprouts rapidly myself! Trips arent the same to me, did so much, but I know Sun enjoyed hers!

Beautiful flowers Debra, I'm with Kitt, no more room in my garden for anything. I did enjoy my Panama City beach trip, but WV was much more beautiful and cooler. I'm not going anywhere more than two hours away for the rest of the year.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Busy morning while it s

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

A sauna outdoors, sorry I bumped the wrong touch screen place. Made up a few jars peppers this morn and I am whooped. Not sure there is any heat in these at all, but poblano, jalapeno, serrano, carrot & garlic in vinegar. Gotta get my dried herbs in their jars too. WV was always fun to cool down in, but I remember those hills with resignation when it came to climbing and falling off without hitting icy patches...
The lamp is 9" tall, turned in 1945 by my dad during hi school in Durango, Colo. Supposed to be walnut, but so light weight now. Am attempting to find an led kit to light it back up. Regular lite bulb would burn too hot, and is heavier than the whole lamp now. Happy Sunday everyone!

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.