Help, love this tree but can’t identify to buy it

Chester, NH

Found this tree in downtown Manchester NH. It is in a sheltered spot with sunlight. I am told the long
(about 8 inches long in groups of up to 10) needle shaped leaves(texture of Rhododendron leaves) turns yellow in the fall and then fall. Anyone know???

Thumbnail by Djhfax Thumbnail by Djhfax
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You posted many times in the Plant ID forum.

Sciadopitys verticillata is the likely answer. You can help by providing some additional information - especially an image of the WHOLE plant.

I don't buy the story that it is a deciduous conifer. I believe that someone told you that, but anecdotes by people who don't know plants well are often worth only that.

All conifers will shed some old needled leaves every year - whether they are Eastern White Pine, Norway Spruce, Eastern Redcedar, Giant Sequoia, or Japanese Umbrella-pine (Sciadopitys verticillata) - but only the oldest set if they are evergreen conifers.

This species is uncommon in landscapes, but an exceptional plantsman from Connecticut made great strides in growing this plant and in selecting superior forms from seedlings in field trials. The late horticulture professor from UConn - Sid Waxman - had quite the collection.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60887/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.