Crassula ovata \'crosby\'s compact\'

Phelan, CA

I bought this plant online, and it has the one long stem. I'd like it to look like others I've seen thahttps://davesgarden.com/community/forums/pf.php#t are upright, without one long stem. How do I remedy this?

Thumbnail by RackinRocky
San Diego, CA

Hey RackinRocky!! Apologies for not seeing this post sooner.

I'd suggest pruning your plant back at least about half-way down the longest stem. This will force it to branch from the remaining "trunk". And, the portion you cut off can be allowed to callous-over and then be planted right next to the remaining plant. Eventually, both the remaining plant AND the re-planted cutting will begin to branch and form new leaves, creating the fuller look you're going for. And, below is a link to some pruning guidance provided by SFGate (a sister site to the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper).

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/jade-sprout-new-branches-32651.html

However, if pruning scares you, you can replant the entire plant into a slightly larger pot with new, very free-draining soil (I'd suggest adding 1 part 1/4 inch aka "pea gravel" to every 2 parts of whatever soil you use for your succulents). If you don't get major frosts in your area, I'd also recommend adding a slow-release, high nitrogen fertilizer into your soil as well. This will promote foliage growth. But, if you DO get frosts, then I'd suggest to use the fertilizer only in Spring because new growth at this time in the year (late Summer/Fall) may not become acclimated/hardy enough to withstand cold temps.

I hope this info helps.

Phelan, CA

Thank you, allwaysgrowing. I did repot the plant, but made it into two plants. This is the second thread I didn't keep up with because I forgot to visit Dave's Garden, and forgot all about both threads. Here is a pic of what I did.

Thumbnail by RackinRocky
San Diego, CA

Hey there, RackinRocky! First, I did get your D-Mail and I'll be sending that Senecio jacobsenii over (along with a couple EXTRAS, if you don't mind) within a week from this post. And, GREAT job with these two Crassula plants. Don't worry about the leggier one. Eventually it will begin to fill out... just give it your love and some time. Here are two of my once-leggy "Crosby's" with an overall shot of each along with a slightly closer shot of each to show the new growth that'll eventually give them the "fuller" look.

Thumbnail by allwaysgrowing Thumbnail by allwaysgrowing Thumbnail by allwaysgrowing Thumbnail by allwaysgrowing
San Diego, CA

Woops! Realized I left out that these were in 4" pots when they were still exhibiting the "leggy" growth habit. After I potted them up into 6" pots (their curent homes), they began to put out the new growth you can see in the photos.

Hope this helps settle your mind. You did a good thing...don't worry.

Phelan, CA

Thank you, Allwaysgrowing! You don't have to send extras. So very sweet of you! And I hope my plants eventually look like yours. Yes, TONS of new growth! They look just awesome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.