Aeoniums? Tis the season.

Valley Village, CA

Any one growing them, tell us what state you live in. Temperatures, where, how do you start them? What varieties, species do you grow? In the pot, sun, shade. Do you want to learn some tricks with them?
Norma

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Norma, hi..I have some of these, thinking they were Escheverias!!! My head has been in the old roses too long!!!! I surmised, as they are succulents..take the stem and cut off about two inches from the rosette, and place into a gritty sandy mixture..anyway, they've struck as other little critters are there at the base..trial and error, I guess. I have this fascination with the Euphorbias..theyr are truly the ones that interest me! And really, this is the place to be to learn..thanks, Elaine

Valley Village, CA

What colors are your Aeonium. YOu do have part of the method correct. Any other ideas on how to start them? Do ou know which ones you have? I am interestedin getting a few different species. I like the miniature forms of the species. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Today worked on two Aeonium for the Huntington Gardens. I just cut off the heads and left about 2" of stem to sink down in the soil, and topped it off with gravel. I worked up 6 flats today. We won't water until it rains, nature will take care of it. These were left outside as our temp. will not drop below 40. It did freeze last night about 22 miles west of my house in the San Fernando Valley, thank goodness I had 4m plastic over my plants, really to protect them from the rain. Norma

Valley Village, CA

If you save the bases of the Aeonium after you cut off the heads for repotting, you just might get little ones all the way up the stem. Set this base in semi-shade, it's not dead yet. When I do cut off the heads I more than often do not plant them immediately, I just set them on top of a pot, I peek in to see if they have roots about once a week, when I see the roots then I'll pot. The same with the Echeveria. I certainly hope this information is helping some of you, I know you read it, but I'm not getting responses, even when you make corrections or add what I have left out, at least its feed back. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Now that it's Jan. try peeling the leaves off the stem of the Aeoniums.Just set these on top of your soil mix. Wait until you see the first tiny roots come down, now water. You should be able to get 50% of them to strike down. Are any of you trying this, I don't get feed back. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Again I was asked to peel the leaves of Aeonium at the Huntington. I will be doing A. tabulariforme. Please try this. It will give a wonderful high of accomplishment. It's build one's self accurance.

I just harvested some fruit of a plant that looks like an opuntia, the fruit has small seeds. I squished them onto a heavy paper towel to dry. I has a wonderfull sweet taste yummmmm and will make a great jam. Who wants seeds? I will find out the latin name of species today. I will be able to send each of you 25 seeds. For those only who are actively participating on this forum.

Here is a new resource for seeds ,they are having a sale,
Glenhirst Cactus Nursery sabell@glenhirstcactianpalms.co.uk
or,,,,, http://www.glenhirstcactiandpalms.co.uk

1L = $1.50 They will take master card You can get the complete collection of seed for only Succulents complete collection of seed about $25.00 This will be 82 types of seed. This is an example. Norma

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Norma, I would love to try some seeds, if you promise to be here to guide me! if that's okay, I'll send you my address.

Valley Village, CA

I have opuntia seed at this time, heck I was counting on you to guide me. I'm going to get some more Aloe Drako seed at my daughter house. The fruit of this one is yummy.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Norma,,speaking of propagating the Aeonium..I have a greatt RHS encycl. on strictly Indoor Plants and they are said to grow on via stem, leaf and seeds..easiest is leaf..let it callus off and plant in a cactus medium..IN THE SPRING AND SUMMER!!!!!best time..I never pay att'n to best time..just that I get on with it..Elaine

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

Okay. I have one poor black aeonium and it's about to lose
some leaves. sure hope it works. I'll keep you informed norma on my progress.
barbara

Valley Village, CA

You cannot grow new plants on dead leaves, you must take off the dead ones, now take off one one round of leaves, and toss them, now the next round are great they are fresh. Don't bury them, just let the tips set on the soil, make sure the
leaves that you removed has part of the cuticule or meristem, skin of the stem attached. Set them in low light, and good luck. Aeonium seeds I have never attempted. They sould be very fine, like dust. Trying to teach someone to grow from seed over the internet, when I can't do it here at home would be impossible. Northridge gardens has gone out of business, but I do have three catalogues to give away. I also have extra of Highland Nursery catalogue (Epi)
these I would like to give away. Good color pictures. Norma

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Norma, can you save one of those catalogs for me along with the other you have? postage is coming.

Valley Village, CA

Will do, send the catalogue that is. Remember folks, Crassulacae can be grown from leaves, I've even tried it with Semps. Sedum from leaves, Adromischus, Aeonium, Crassula, Echeveria, try it, you have nothing to lose.
Dracena Draco I still have some seeds left.
All small seeds: It's best to sow 50 seeds per 4" pot, put soil 1/2 from the top and gently put another pot on top just to level the soil, scatter the seed and put a very fine grit on top to cover, never cover more than the depth of the seed. Now mist daily and give them good light, keep them slightly moist, and make sure they have air circulating. Some species take several weeks, other may take a year. Sans. two weeks. You will have better success with very fresh seeds, not more than two weeks old. Other we refrigerate and they do fine after a year or two. Again it will be experience.

Aeonium, if it hasn't flowered but is dying just cut off the head and let it dry by sitting it in a pot, no soil for about a week, now is the time, don't drag your heels on this, timing is everything. Do not set in bright sun.

My Aeonium are starting to put out offsets from the sides of the head. When they get big enough to handle they will
be cut off and after the wound heals over they will be pushed into some soil. Remember to tap the pot of soil down on something hard to settle the soil.

Valley Village, CA

Just found today a new species of Aeonium Castello-paivae HBG 16607
Not a pretty picture. It has soft green leaves which feels like silk, the kind that you can wash. Has a small head. It looks more like an Ech. harmsii
This will develop into a small little bonsai tree, whick is ugly. Of course it came from the Canery Is.
Don't bother trying to find this one, it is extremely rare. Tis the season for Aeonium to develop little offsets right under the head. Norma

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Norma, if you have any seeds of anything left, I would love a couple stuck in with my magazine!! postage should be to you soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.