Tomato and Pepper plant Question- Help!

Hello,
I'm brand new to gardening here. I have three half wine barrel gardens currently growing. One contains two tomato plants and the other contains two bell pepper plants. The tomato plant has leaves that are yellowing, but it also has new growth that looks good. The bell pepper plant has black on the joints. Here are some pictures! I'd appreciate any help, as I am lost!

Thumbnail by Lilysgarden09 Thumbnail by Lilysgarden09 Thumbnail by Lilysgarden09 Thumbnail by Lilysgarden09
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, did you by any chance use Miracle gro soil in your containers? Or a potting soil? It looks over watered, the yellowing of the whole leaf shows that. The black part is where that leaf died. I asked abt the soil you used because it can give you problems, those tubs and many soils hold too much moisture and are too loose for vegs like a tomato. They grow as a weed does, in a poorer soil than commercial mixes. If you are in the west coast of the USA, look for a fertilizer mix like Happy Frog that gives you directions on use and supplies more than just fertilizer ( such as calcium)

I did not use Miracle Grow, but it was an organic potting mix. It said that it was meant for vegetable and herb gardens? Can I save these plants? Should I cut off the yellow leaves?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Dont worry about trimming pepper and tomato leaves, but see if you can Google the ' difference between chlorosis and overwatering'. With a commercial soil - well, they are turning the stuff out so fast now, it doesn't age properly. You cant see if simply sticking your fiinger an inch gives you accurate dampness as the water is in the bottom and not draining. Let the plants grow some and lose that moisture and the leaves have a chance to return to green.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

These were already plants when you got them? Usually look for plants that are a darker green.

Thumbnail by kittriana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.