Plant Propagation, The Basics, July 2018

Fort Worth, TX

Welcome to the 3rd quarter of 2018. Feels like August, but it's July 1st.

We came from here. https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1475061/

This message was edited Jun 30, 2018 10:22 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Your always welcome Debra , That lily did not do well here

Gypsi , cute , my sister was like that .
Thank you for the new thread
I will see if there are blooms later

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

How the months fly by...thanks for new thread. Posting so I don't lose it. ☺

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

had get some blooms here well plants anyway
Zinnia
petunia
amaranth
senna
Fleabane

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I like these ideas, I think I would have too much rain in Texas tho.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The tier fountain you could have holes in the planter section , They would grow , the sempervivum ,
Kitt that all looks wonderful ,

Ju, looking good, love those white zinnias.

Kitt, that fountain is amazing, I really love succulents, probably from being raised in S. Calif and Texas. I've tried so many succulents and lost more than I can grow due to the heavy rains and humidity here. I have learned what do okay and what doesn't and make sure they're in clay pots or in the sandy ground. That hedgehog aloe does well here, Agaves, Dykias, and Carrion cactus. I've never had luck with sempervivums, sedums, or Echeverias even on the porch out of the rain, they die on me, I guess its the humidity.

Some more blooms, Curcuma ginger, Cruenta Bromeliad, Cat Whiskers, Red cone ginger, Aechmea Fasciata bromeliad starting flower

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sun ,, looking good there !!!
A couple this morning

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Nice blooms everyone.
1) Work of art presented to Grandpa from Kira this morning. Done with markers
2) red lupin started from seed in March
3,4) Pots are starting to get full

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Beautiful

Sweet gift ,,,!!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Very good little artist there, Keith! Happy Fourth when you guys get up tomorro. The forecasters are promising Summer is to be expected this week and no turning back. I am not looking forward to it, but I am not getting outdoors so much now anyway. Was looking at area pool here....

Happy 4th to you all!

What a beautiful gift, Keith, you have quite an artist there. Love the containers, what is the white fringed plant in last photo? It is gorgeous.

Ju, lovin you blooms.

Oxdrift, Canada

Sherri, that is goatsbeard. Heavy rains have almost flattened it. We are in a watch for another cloud burst this morning

HAPPY 4TH ALL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Adding that is a really nice Goatsbeard ,
Keith ,, yes and to all ,, the Happy 4th ,,
Waiting on storms here also ,,

Thank you sun , some years

Fort Worth, TX

I'll send the sun if you send me rain, we are on the way from moderate drought to severe drought.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Calif has drouth. Hasn't rained but smidgens in forever. I think drinking water is being bought from NMex. My dau sent me a picture of a morning glory I stuck in a hanging basket before I left. I am glad it grew up under the porch roof.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

110 here today and some humidity moving in with thunderstorm. July is our hottest month and soon we will be cooling down.

First for me is horn-worms on my bougainvilleas and Queen of Sheba plant. Had a self seeded tomato growing next to the bougainvilleas and probably moved to the bougainvilleas by mistake and liked it. I found a small one but had to be many on there to do the damage that was done. Lots of robins so maybe they got them.

Neighborhood is just about empty. Everyone has either headed to the beach in California or the Mountains in Utah and Lake Tahoe.

My garden is surviving but barely.

Kitt, I see you are enjoying San Diego. I am with JU on the succulents. If your pots has drainage, the succulents will do fine. Mine are watered with irrigation every day. Only have a problem when pot does not drain properly.

Fort Worth, TX

Sharon, a blacklight flashlight at night will show you the worms, or you can spray the bougainvillea with BT (bacillus thuringiensis). I injected my yellow squash when the wasp born squash vine borers were killing them,and the plants looked great the next day and still do a week later.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Counting the days to the house

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here was few this morning
Morning glory leaves
a couple Granpa otts .
and a petunia .
Hi Sharon ,

Kitt , you mean you need a vacation already ?

Well , that is .. Don't let the bugs bring you down , ?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I love those Granpa Otts, so intense. Nope, I am tired of this vacation, I need to quit doing sloppy, and get back to work.

Tks, Keith, I like that goatsbeard. Hopefully it perked back up after the rain.

Kitt, that sneaky MG, you never know about plants, especially those vines. Think Calif been in a drought since I left in 78. I remember my Pop sneaking in watering his roses way back then due to water restrictions.

I sprinkle BTI bits( Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis) in my bromeliads and wet areas, really does keep the mosquito population down. Still safe for other good bugs.

That Granpa otts is just striking! Makes my eyes pop open this early. ☺

Hang in there Sharon, July will be over soon enough. Plants will hang in there with your tender care.

Bromeliad blooms, kind of look like firecrackers to me.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sun ,, Nice Bromeliad blooms , they do rather POP also !!!
1 When the sun shines stronger on the Ott it lightens , Not as nice really .
2 A toothy Daylily
3 new plants Speedwell , new vintage red yarrow , sea breeze fleabane ,
4 Daylily
5 going wild

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Late June, my stargazer from last year returned and bloomed, with an echinacea. Lanceleaf coreopsis, need the pic to finish my painting some day. Carrot with its legs crossed. my bunny Sheba (who lives in a fairly roomy cage and hasn't taken off). and dinner from the garden, carrots, red onions,swiss chard

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice Gypsi , !!!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

oh golly, I lost you all, fun reading and looking at all the pretties to catch up, tho. Gosh, just so hot out... love your blooms, and that art to you, Keith is awesome.
Hope someone gets rain, we aren't.. ::P
Pink Chiffon ROS, Pandurata, north fence garden, american bell flower, royal catchfly

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra those are pretty flowers ,
Here is a wild menagarie of blooms 1
others coming along

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sniff, sniff. Home soon

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt Homesick indeed are you we all miss places we are use to , A little travel is good .
Hope most are well around you , getting along ,

Out in the back Beetles are eating my echinacea blooms ,

Ju, Debra and Gypsi, all so pretty, nice to see others garden blooms. Bunny is cute, and healthy dinner.
Kitt, just five more days, TX is callin ya.

Starting some opuntia cactus from a friend in Jax. More blooms, Blue Ginger Pendula, Bromeliad Aechmea fasciata, coleus pot, Curcuma gingers

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

awwww cute little cactus ears. I have a ton of it all from one half a pad.. that brom is beautiful,

Kitt, I bet it seems forever since you have been home, but the sights you have seen!
Ju, love your propagation efforts , as always
My Grass green wall , finally has some Pandurata and clematis from seed growing on it. Been trying for five years to get this pandy going on that north fence. We do cut the seed heads down off this grass.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra ,,,
Here is some nearer propagation
From seeds
Daylily
Mallow
Bronze fennel
?
Yellow Echinacea

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

From seeds Echinacea
New red Blanket flower starts are small .I am going to have to think about those some
3 Some older bug chewed Purple Echinacea

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I forgot to show the Monarda blooming

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Deb is your 4th one a chicory? I miss that, doesn't grow down here.
Sun, is curcuma ginger also known as turmeric?
and Ju you are the master of seed starting there, but I think my cockscomb celosia seedlings are going to make it
Kitt, just click your heels together, and say 3 times, "I want to go to Texas", lol

Have to go out and tune up my chevy, have a great day

Gypsi, that Curcuma is just a hybrid, not Curcuma Longa which is Tumeric, I have some C. Longa but something got into it and ate all the tubers, one small struggling sprout of it left. :-(

Deb, like the grass wall, and Ju, you sure got a lot of seedlings going, the Monarda is really pretty.

Oxdrift, Canada

New Daylily. Carrick Wilson. Just out this morning, huge blooms

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener

Gypsy, the fourth one is an American Belleflower, which is a Kansas Native Plant here. I have a lot of natives growing, and thanks , guys for the compliments. I love all the plants and photos that we all share. And I agree, Ju is the Master seed sprouter...
I had a cardinal family on the front porch, here is one of the babies..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Nice ,,

Thank you all but if the Master seed sprouter I am ? I have trouble with bunches of them ,
Bugs are still eating my Echinacea ,
Most of my seedlings are growing very slowly ,
I have to reconsider my perennial options while I am starting to redo everything ,
Debra Cute little Bird

Awww adorable fledgling, almost looks too young to be out of the nest already.

Keith, nice Day lily!

Ju, bugs and critters have been trouble for me this year, many seedlings lost from the pesky squirrels digging in my pots. Grass hoppers were really bad this year too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.