veggies and fruits for balcony

Wellesley, MA

Hi everyone. I have got quite big balcony comparing to other flats.I haven't decorated it yet, because I haven't got so much money, but I was thinking to place there some flowers. I have got 4 cherry tomatoes there and thats all. I was thinking about creeping strawberries, because I have got some kind of wooden grating. Would it work? What other plants to cultivate would you recommend? I prefer some veggies and fruits!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Look for compact varieties of cucumbers such as Spacemaster and there are several types of squash. Peppers do well in containers with good sun. A friend grows bush green beans in containers. I would not try strawberries as the season is over and you'd have to try and winter them through for fruit next spring. Lettuce should do nicely there once the weather gets cool again in early autumn. Herbs for pots are rosemary, oregano, thyme and basil though none will survive your winters.

The halfway sun or fractional shade class implies around 4-6 hours of direct sun. In the event that your porch gets this measure of light, you can develop veggies like peas, onions, cauliflower, carrots, beets, and chard. Root crops for the most part need somewhere around 4-6 hours of sun each day, yet little carrots and radishes might do okay with less.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.