New Dog=Big Problem

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

What a week!!!!! Last friday I was given, as an early Christmas present, a beautiful 3 year old miniature Schnauzer. A friend, whose family already has 3 dogs, rescued him from a bad situation. He was being kept in a basement and only taken out to "do his duty", and then back in. I had recently lost my parakeet and so they offered him to my daughter for me and so I became a dog mommy again. He is a beautiful salt and pepper pure bred. He was very shy and not well educated, but in two days he was holding his head proudly, doing the Schnauzer bounce, and pawing the ground at imagined interlopers. I was in love! Then monday I did a very dumb thing. I let him off the chain for the little while I was putting garland on the front bannister and he ran down the road to the neighbors. (They have a female that is in heat.) They have several dobermans and a greyhound as well as a Shar Pei (sp?). Having no experience with territorial dogs must have gotten him in bad. Anyway the next thing I hear is him crying. The neighbor lady had to beat her dogs off him with a broom. They bit him in the hind quaters pretty bad. He has several bite wounds and is all bruised back there. He is on antibiotics and the vet says he will be fine. He is moving better today and has been eating and drinking fine. I feel so guilty and stupid to have let him get into that prediciment. Then I kept him in the house to keep an eye on him and the poor little guy thought he was being punished. He is spending his first night outside tonight and you can see the sparkle in his eyes again. He was so afraid I was going to bring him in tonight when I took him his treat (ie:hidden antibiotic) that I had to hand it into him in his dog house. He would not come out until I started away and then he came out and wagged his tail and woofed at me. (I love the way this breed talks to people.)
I get upset over people who abuse or neglect animals and here I did it myself. Guess you're never to old to be foolish.

This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!