Where is the best shore birding in Cape Canaveral?

Cape Canaveral, FL

Where is the best shore birding in Cape Canaveral Florida?

This message was edited Mar 27, 2018 6:27 PM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Try the loop road in Merrit WLR. Or any of the ponds and marshes along the roads

Fee for using loop road 5 or 10 dollars can not remember

Cape Canaveral, FL

Thanks!

If you have time you might like going to St Augustine gator farm. The rookery is well worth seeing and take pictures. Herons, egrets, irises and wood storks are close enough to get pictures with out fancy lens. Mid Feb through July the rookery is active.

Cape Canaveral, FL

I'll check it out!
Are there any other species of water-related birds (Gulls, Terns, and Shorebirds) spotted there on a regular bases?

A number of tern species and ring billed gulls(maybe othergulls), Black Skimmers also nest nest on some of the areas.Inlets along A1A are good spots to check. There are bridges south of St Augustine and north of Marineland are good places to check out. Washington State Garden is a nice place to stop at for land birds.
South of Jacksonville is Guana River WIldlife management area, north of Jacksonville on north side of St John River is Huguenot Memorial park shore birds nest here, birds are always to be found around here al year.
North in South Georgia is Cumberland Island Nat. Seashore, this is a all day trip. Take food and drink no stores, boat comes and goes only twice a day.
Hopes this helps, this is my home territory.
Sandy

Cape Canaveral, FL

Thanks!
I'll keep this in mind.

Forget to add that the spoonbill also nest at the gator farm.
Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.