CLOSED: Fish Crow vs. American Crow

Cape Canaveral, FL

Could someone please give me some tips on Fish and American Crow identification, especially when they are not calling?

Cape Canaveral, FL

sorry I do not know much about telling them apart by looks but I do know that there call is different

Cape Canaveral, FL

Thanks, but I already new that there calls of the adults are different.
I am hopping for a more visual way of telling them apart.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

There isn't! You have to hear them calling. The size difference can be useful IF you have one of each right next to each other, but most of the time it doesn't help.

Sorry!

Resin

Cape Canaveral, FL

Thanks for responding.
I have heard some where that the Fish Crow has faster wing beats, is this true?
I have also heard that the Fish Crow's wingtips rest short of it's tail, whereas the American Crow's don't, though I have never found this true.
I also know that the Fish Crow's legs are shorter than the American's.
Another helpful bit of info I learned while I was reading my Sibley Guide is that the Fish Crow commonly perches on telephone wires, whereas the American Crows rarely do.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yes, Fish Crow has faster wing beats - but unless you can compare them directly, it doesn't help, it is too hard to judge on a single bird. Ditto the leg length. Both are just expressions of the bird's overall size.

Perching on wires . . . well if that's the case, I've seen Fish Crow in Oregon and California. Which I clearly haven't!! I'd put that one together with your wingtips one in the apocrypha :-)

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.