What about wild relocation?

Mississauga, Canada

Hey friends, I am glad to announce that my new flat is ready to occupy. I moved to Toronto with my family. I designed my area in a beautiful way and made my balcony much more attractive. There are some flowering plants in my balcony. Now the only problem with my area is that a bird is nesting on my balcony and it attacks if anyone enters in the balcony area. Since I am a bird and animal lover, I don't want to destroy their nest and hurt them in any way. I just want to relocate them to a better place. I have heard of wildlife relocation service at Mississauga ( https://www.hawkeye.ca/toronto-animal-control-services-solutions/animal-wildlife-relocation ) and it is the best method for animal capture and relocation. I think this is the best method to solve my problem without hurting their habitat. I just want to know if there are any similar service for capturing birds. If anyone knows more about this, please help me.

Wetumpka, AL

Quote from jeanbaker :
Hey friends, I am glad to announce that my new flat is ready to occupy. I moved to Toronto with my family. I designed my area in a beautiful way and made my balcony much more attractive. There are some flowering plants in my balcony. Now the only problem with my area is that a bird is nesting on my balcony and it attacks if anyone enters in the balcony area. Since I am a bird and animal lover, I don't want to destroy their nest and hurt them in any way. I just want to relocate them to a better place. I have heard of wildlife relocation service at Mississauga ( https://www.hawkeye.ca/toronto-animal-control-services-solutions/animal-wildlife-relocation ) and it is the best method for animal capture and relocation. I think this is the best method to solve my problem without hurting their habitat. I just want to know if there are any similar service for capturing birds. If anyone knows more about this, please help me.

You can't relocate nesting birds. For one, it's illegal to do so, and secondly.... the parents will be traumatized and abandon the nest and young. The baby/babies will die.

Wildlife relocation usually pertains to mammals, not birds (rare bird of prey issues are a sometimes exception, but not if they're nesting. Then they're left alone), and even then it's risking the possibility of young being deserted and left to starve or be taken by predation. Like birds of prey, our native songbirds in this country are protected by law and cannot be harassed, harmed, trapped, etc. In fact, it's illegal to even collect a feather you found on the ground. And not just Bald Eagle feathers either. ANY songbird feather is to be left alone.

Aside from legalities, consider the safety of these birds. Find out what kind of bird it is, learn how long the time frame is from hatch to fledge.... and allow the parents to hatch, raise and fledge their young. Most songbirds have a very short time frame when the egg is laid and when the nestlings fledge.

It's not really much to ask to wait a short time before using your balcony, and honestly... you're blessed to be in a position to witness such an amazing thing. Birds don't nest in our 'human spaces.' WE humans have invaded theirs. And as their habitats are destroyed to build businesses, houses, apartment buildings, parking lots, etc., etc., etc.... they have to make use of what's available.

Again, you can't relocate an entire family of birds. It will kill the young. Any business doing such a thing is committing a very serious crime, too.

As for the little bird 'attacking' people.... "The most dangerous place in the world is between a mother and her child." But really, these birds just want a safe place to raise their babies, then they'll be on their way.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2018 5:49 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.