winter 2018

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

trying the picture again ...

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

OK, we'll try a couple more.
Linaria purpurea (toadflax) - likes a lean soil
A golden-foliaged blue mist shrub - a bee magnet for sure.
I have never had a delosperma survive winter but this one claims to be zone 5.
I have my doubts, but I'll enjoy it's beautiful blooms for now.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Oxdrift, Canada

Glad to see you have conquered the glitch Wee. And very nice shots. I like delisperma too and it is definitely an annual here.
All our annuals were taken by frost on Wed and Thurs nights

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Bummer about such early frosts.
But on the plus side, hopefully knocked down some of the mosquitos.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

WHAT!!! FROST!!! Holy smokes! Did you take any coleus cuttings?
Glad you figured it out WR and back in business. That is a beautiful cyclamen and I've been been looking for the gold leaf blue mist shrub all this season. I had it and tried to move it and killed it. I love the blue flowers against the chartreuse leaves. Good luck with the ice plant. At least you get a nice show for a year.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This is a late-blooming allium from this weekend, A. senescens.
A rock garden skullcap blooms all summer long.
A creeping sedum, S. selskianum.
Another caryopteris just getting started.
Though the blooms are tiny, there are a gazillion of them.
Finally a hydrangea relative, Dichroa versicolor.
Bloomed a couple weeks ago.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Oxdrift, Canada

Yes Loretta, I took coleus cuttings a week ago. They haven't rooted yet so if they don't take I won't get a second chance. Succulents survived. I spent all morning either repotting those or taking cuttings. Lots more of those to do yet.
Beautiful blooms Wee.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Wee. Does your skullcap reseed? I have the weed version of skullcap - scutellaria altissima. Great plant for dry, dry shade but it takes over and it isn't easy to pull out. Plus I hardly see any bees on it.
Keith, I probably asked you before but do you purchase most of your coleus pots each year or do you do a lot of cuttings? I would imagine unless you have great indoor light, your indoor cuttings wouldn't get as lush in your short season and your plantings always look so full. My cuttings look terrible when I bring them out. Eventually they catch up but it takes a while.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several species of skullcap, some reseed a little but not overwhelming. But I agree I don't see much bee activity.

Oxdrift, Canada

Loretta,
Most of my coleus are from cuttings. I save 2 cuttings of each variety in the fall and then mass produce them in the spring
First photo is 1 of approximately 8 flats of cutting starts from this spring and 2nd is a shot from last December of a few of my overwinter root stock.
I could never afford to buy all those every year
Same thing with succulents. My basement is full of coleus and succulents in the winter

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice setup Keith. Well then I'm doing something wrong! Haha!
Thanks Wee. I have tried to dig them up a few times but they always come back and then I let it go especially when they bloom. The problem is it seems they are blooming and seeding at the same time. It's always hard to forgo the show once it starts. Even the small ones are hard to pull out.

Oxdrift, Canada

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my southern gardening friends

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy holidays to you as well.
Hoping 2019 might bring more life to my old friend, Dave's!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.