lilies out of the ground

Brookfield, CT

I I did some last minute digging at my parents' house before selling it. This was at the end of September. So now I have some oriental lily bulbs ( is that the correct term?) that I want to grow on because they have sentimental value. Some are a decent size, about 2" in diameter, but many are no more than a few scales with roots attached. How can I keep these alive and healthy until spring? I doubt I will have a chance to plant them before then. The ground here is already frozen.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Put them in a pot in the rear of your garage. Give them a bit of water once a month. I have been doing that for years. They will be fine.

Brookfield, CT

Do they need to stay above freezing? The garage can get pretty cold.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry - important omission.

Get a cheap quilt from a thrift store and cover them.. I am in zone 5a and it works for me. I have been doing it for years. And honestly, last year I forgot to water them and they all did wonderfully this past season - but don't take chances. Their sizes are from pinky sized bulbs to five inch bulbs.

Brookfield, CT

Thanks for sharing your experience. I better get a blanket on these pdq since we're expecting sub zero temps in the next few days!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.