Apple Trees

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

I managed to start some Gala apples from seed. Now what do I do with them to keep them alive over winter? Do I bury the container in the soil and mulch on top? I don't want to leave them in the cold garage as they might not make it. I have no idea how to keep them alive.
Thanks

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Fruit trees are mostly vegetatively propagated and grafted onto sturdier root stock such as quince. Chances of you having a productive tree or even an edible apple are less than slim since gala is a hybrid. I know this doesn't answer the question though.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Thank you for the response. I have been trying to plant things like peach pits, plum pits and mulberry seeds, just to see if I could get them to grow. I was beyond shocked to see the apples growing. I had wondered about the grafting. If they survive in my basement over the winter, I will just plop them into the dirt somewhere and see what happens. The squirrels will probably get them before I see any apple bearing trees.Thanks again.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Just another question, MaypopLaurel. I read somewhere that you grow garlic. I received a hardneck bulb from the Czech Republic. The first year that I planted it, the cloves grew wonderfully. I picked all the little bulblettes on the tops and planted about 70 cloves last year. I don't know what happened, but I had a crop failure. Hardly any of the cloves grew and the little bulblettes produced marble size bulbs. I don't know if I didn't give it enough fertilizer or if the area was unfit. I usually just fertilize with chicken manure but I though the area where I planted it had sufficient nutrients. It got plenty of moisture during the year, maybe too much? Just wondered how you fertilize and how much water you give it.
Thanks

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

You did not have crop failure, Ruth. It takes at least two years, usually three, to get decent heads from the bulbils on the scapes. When growing garlic for harvest the first year plant the largest cloves from each head. Save small ones for cooking. The scapes should be cut to encourage larger bulb growth underground. They are prized by chefs and me. :) https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018493-double-garlic-soup

I inherited garlic gone rogue when we bought Maypop long ago and later experimented with more exotic varieties. It now comes up on the edge of the poor excuse for a lawn (and I try to mow around it), on the banks and in the original garlic bed. I always find some when I need it and the rest escapes until next year.

We are in the middle of relocating my greenhouse in Atlanta and running to Maypop tomorrow to have our water lines replaced from hurricane Irma damage. If you have questions it might be a bit before an answer.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

So sorry about your damage. I thought going through a tornado or two was bad, but it sounds like nothing compared to a hurricane. Tornadoes are over in 10 minutes, hurricanes last for days. Hope you are all ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.