Has Anyone Grown Primula Vialli ?

Birmingham, United Kingdom

I grew Primula Vialli from seed last year and planted out half a dozen young plants in the Autumn....good, strong, plants.They seem to have completeley vanished. I've read somewhere that they go dormant.When (if ever) are they likely to appear again?

Marigold.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I grew some last year also. they disappear completely and wont show any sign of growth until the end of April. mine are still in pots where I can see that the roots are still fresh looking

Mark

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Thanks, Mark, you've given me hope. I love Primulas, and have tried to grow various ones from seed, but with limited success.Any hints or tips for successful germination would be appreciated.

Marigold.

I think Primulas like a period of cold. After this cold winter, there should be a lot more Primulas and Saxifragas up than usual. We once germinated some ordinary Primrose seeds in a bag of damp compost kept in the fridge, but they also self-seeded at the back of the garden in a wild patch we had.

Primula viallii is most definitely a short-lived perennial. I find it hard to keep for more than a couple of years and it gradually declines. Best to raise from seed every year I think - it doesn't self-seed with me, unlike P.prolifera, pulverulenta and denticulata which come up everywhere, usually in the path!

Maurice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.