Forever and Ever hydrangea Together has not bloomed in 4 years.

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 7a)

2014 was a terrible year for hydrangeas on Long Island, NY, but my Endless Summer Original and Blushing Bride have recovered just fine.
This spring when I did not see any flower buds showing up on the Forever & Ever Together, I moved it about 6 inches forward to catch a little more sun, but it didn't seem to help. Any thoughts or suggestions? I 'd like to see it bloom next year!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought with a late freeze this spring that I would have no blooms on my macs but I was pleasantly surprised that most did bloom and fairly well at that. As for moving a shrub six inches, that isn't a lot of movement. What kind of shade is it in? A tree? A building or structure? If a tree then the shade would get denser each year - more than six inches I would assume. I had ten trees cut down this spring to get more sun - I think that has made a huge difference already (a mixed bag though as some hostas are taking a beating now and I will dig those up this fall for moving but the hydrangeas and other shrubs/perennials are looking so much better).

I dug up six hydrangeas and put them in larger pots two years ago so they would not have to compete with trees for water - that made a huge difference in the health of the plant and also more blooms. The nice thing about this is I can move the pots anywhere in the yard to find the optimum spot between mind-numbing watering chores and blooming at their best. That said, try propagating or dividing your shrub and move it to some new spot to see if it makes a big difference?

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 7a)

Thank you very much for your response. I may try moving it still more- take out one plant in front of it and replace it with this hydrangea. I really thought it was getting enough sun and that maybe something else was causing the problem.

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 7a)

My Forever and Ever Hydrangea did bloom this year. I think it may still need more sun. I will move it in front of the astilbe that is in front of it now. When this astilbe bloomed it hid the flowers on the hydrangea. I cut the astilbe flowers off so we could see the hydrangea flowers. I know the astilbe can take more shade without having a problem, so I will reverse them this fall or next spring. Which season do you think would be best to make the move?

Thumbnail by hopetolearn Thumbnail by hopetolearn Thumbnail by hopetolearn Thumbnail by hopetolearn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.