What are some fast-growing plants/ flowers that thrive in shade? Also, what is a hardy tree fern that will grow in zone 8?

Paine Field-Lake Sti, WA

I have a few shady areas I would like to plant something in. I would appreciate suggestions.

I am in northwestern Washington and the soil here is rather acidic.

As for the tree ferns, there are many different varieties. What do you think would do best in a zone 8 (or even 7) winter?

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

You can try Astibiles, Hydrangea, Begonias, Coleus, Hostas, Forsythia , and Impatients . I live in Zone 6 and they grow well in my morning sun to evening Shade area so try them and let me know if they work well for you.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Shade plants
Look up these because some can be very invasive.
Ajuga
Astilbe
Azalea
Barrenwort
bigroot geranium
bleeding heart
Brunnera
Columbine
Coralbells
Corydalis lutea
Eastern redbud
Epimedium
Ferns
Foxglove
Helleborus
Heuchera
Lamium
Lilyturf
Lungwort
Monkshood
Nandina domestica
Pachysandra
Rhododendrons
Stella de oro daylily
toad lily
Virginia bluebells
Wild ginger

Paine Field-Lake Sti, WA

Thank you.
Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I use Turk's Cap in very shady locations... places where other shrubbery can get lanky and start to stretch to reach into the sunlight.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Aralia 'Sun King' is a fabulous plant. This is a very junior one. And a golden angel, which is a japanese shrub mint (don't let mint scare you - it clumps.

I have bigger images somewhere but these are two plants that you can readily get that everybody and their mother doesn't already have, and they are very low maintenance.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Glenmoore, PA

Tree Peony

Thumbnail by TSStonework Thumbnail by TSStonework

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.