Flowers for a container

Custer, SD(Zone 4b)

Could anyone suggest flowers that I could plant in an outside container that deer would not eat?

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

I was told marigolds and zinnia. I am trying them this year

Ahmedabad, India

no dude , i have no ideas about :) but will try

Bellevue, WA

They don't like silvery grays plants - especially if they're fuzzy. Iceland poppies also have hairy leaves that they don't care for. Verbena, heliotrope, lantana, floss flower, alyssum, cleome, marigold, plumbago, valerian, columbine, coreopsis, rudbekia, persian shield and aromatic herbs (sage, mint, cilantro, oregano, dill) are all rumored to be unattractive. I scatter aromatic herbs about my lettuces and the bunnies haven't touched them. Of course, I also scatter red pepper, so it may not be the aromatics. But they are pest confusers in general. I would think onions might work- some chives or a single green onion in the mix. Just a guess. They don't like prickly things like yucca and cactus - though just thorns aren't enough - deer happily much roses.

High Country Gardens has a subset of just deer-resistant plants.

BHG has a slideshow where you can click on the link for your region and get a list: http://www.bhg.com/gardening/pests/animal/the-top-deer-resistant-plants-for-your-region/?slideId=e9a8c2bf-5dcd-4c22-98c5-effd9277a3ca

Custer, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.