Greetings and a Corn Plant Question

West Chester, PA(Zone 6b)

Hello Everyone! I am new, so I am hoping that I am posting this question in the right forum area. If not, please, let me know for my future posts. :)

I have a new corn plant (dracaena massangeana) and the leaves on the shortest stalk are getting yellow spots and then browning in the center and they are becoming somewhat "floppy"; this is happening to old leaves first. It appears that this may have started to happen at the nursery before I got it because there are a couple with holes in the brown spots that were there when I bought it. My apartment faces east-northeast and it is about 6 feet from the window in a plastic pot. The pot may be two sizes up from the pot I bought it in, but they looked pretty cramped in there. The soil is a mix of potting soil and perlite and the additional coconut coir that the plant was in when I purchased it. My apartment is kept between 70-80 degrees. I have been watering about once a week and I have had the plant for about 3 weeks. I started seeing this issue progress after having the plant a week and a half. The leaves on the other two stalks are beautiful, save for a tiny bit of browning at the tips (I have been holding back watering a bit, thinking that this may be the problem).

Is this a sign of overwatering or of fluoride toxicity? I have read that fluoride may be released naturally from the perlite and that these plants can be sensitive to it. Does anyone have experience with hydro spikes and would they be helpful for keeping this plant hydrated? Any ideas are much appreciated. Thank you in advance, Everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.