Virginia bluebells don\'t bloom.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I have had a bed of virginia bluebells for 10 years. I add 1 or two each year. They are in light shade, woodland soil, not dry and never too wet. Should be ideal. the plants live, but usually don't bloom. Any ideas?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is a bit of a mystery. Is it possible that deer are munching on them?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

No deer munches. No buds to munch.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hmm. 10 years, you would think that would put them over the top for blooming.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My guess is that either deer or bunnies are eating them. My bluebells have gone to sleep for the summer.
Try some in a different location and see what happens.

Pittsburgh, PA

I just saw this question. Sounds like you are giving them everything that they need.

Do you prune the plants at any time? I have read that pruning is something that may keep them from blooming.

Mine bloom heavily every year and expand every year. I add compost to the bed after they die back, and they seem to grow well.

I would try some micronutrients??? found in compost, to give them a little jolt??? Although you may have tried it, already???

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the micronutrients suggestion, bidart17. I just bought a package to try out. I'll try it on the bluebells, now and early next spring.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

You might as well get a soil test from your local extension center. Maybe your PH is off or who knows what else. Maybe you should add a layer of compost next spring too. What else grows in the area that is successful?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Most did bloom this year. Who knows....

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Not me but glad it worked out finally.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.