Up for a vote - Member List again

Okay, question: Is it fair to have the Member List (look on the right-side of the page) sorted by the number of seeds that one has?

Would it be more fair to go back to sorting alphabetically?

Additionally, would alphabetical sorting make more sense, not that we have over a hundred members?

Let me know. I won't say which way I'm leaning until I hear everyone else's input.

Dave

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

I go with alphabetical, and then I'll change my name to A+GrannyLois. ~chuckles galore ~ And then Rise Ann could change her name to ARise Ann (get it? Arise ....) Hey, it's been some kind of Friday at the high school !~!

So I'll change my name to Adave. ;-)

seriously, though, that's 1 for alpha-order, and 0 against, so far.

Dave

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

As you know ~ I'm for the alpha-order. I think it gives more chance for everyones list to be viewed. Not just those with oodles of seeds.

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

It would be easier to find a persons page if you were looking for somebody in particular.

Where's Rise Ann? I know she has an opinion on this.

Dave

Ashland, OH(Zone 6a)

My vote goes for alphabetical because I think it would be easier to specifically look for someone, and I also think it would give everyone an equal chance to get their lists viewed no matter how many seeds they have listed. My opinion has nothing to do with the fact that my name "just happens" to be Aunty B, either. (and I wouldn't lie to YOU, Dave!) *wink*

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

And my granddaughter, the wonderful princess Katie, surely agrees, too.

And here I was plotting and scheming how I could take over the world...oh, I mean the top spot next year...

Alpha is good. Although I just keep using that lovely search engine Dave came up with, checking everyone's want list. Only one problem, I keep forgetting people's handles and if I ask Lantana if she wants meadowsweet one more time, I think she'll send the men in the white coats for me ;o

Thanks for allowing the input....AAAAARise Ann

I'll make the change during my next programming session.

aaaaaaDave

GrannyLois - are you talking about This Katie? :-)

Dave

Well , I think you should do it by all the seeds people have altogether!

A giant list of EVERYBODY? That would be fun. A mega-list, and you could sort by username. Ha! Is that what you meant?

Dave

OK, we have already done it by the total number of seeds have/want/will have (i.e. make your want list huge and you are at the top - browsing through all the things people have but you can't have at this point or maybe ever - creating the potential for rampaging garden envy);

and now just by the seeds available for trade (Those with the most are at the top - of course we could sort this descending and I would be closer to the top and the 1's would have top billing).

I personally like the idea of alphabetically at this point (we have already explored the potential for the aaaaaaaaaaaaa syndrome).

Everyone has and will continue to have a different opinion about how the list should be organized. You are such a nice person to provide this service for us at no cost and you really are concerned about being fair. I work for a governmental entity and I can assure you that no matter what you do, a lot of people would rather see it some other way.

Feel free to tell me I'm nuts (disclaimer: this is a merely an attempt at my slant on the ultimate in fairness) How about having it alphabetically, showing only the seeds available for trade with a drop down list that would allow the viewer to sort the member roster by any one of the fields we have been visiting about? (Is that Dave I hear, moaning from 2000 miles away?) Or lets have a member of the day spotlight (which works good until you get a thousand+ members).

Or...lets just do it alphabetially and let the name changers have their day in the sun :)

Smile - its one day closer to spring.

Pernis RT, Netherlands(Zone 8a)

Hiya guys,
I found this site a couple of days ago through someone who offered me a trade on the gardenweb. Since then I've signed up and actually got a proper seed-list organised on here incl. pics. This to great relieve of my family and dogs who get told of for missing/eaten bits of paper that lay all over the place.
So a lot of thanks to Dave for that (and a paw from the dogs).
But my first thought when I saw this site was: "why aren't the seed-lists alphabetically (is that spelled alright?)". So, I'm all for it.
Nice to meet you guys anyway!
And have a look at my list.
See you around,
Agnes

Okee-dokee, the citizens have spoken. :) I'll do a alphabetically ordered list, and I'll make a pulldown menu so you can change how you want it ordered.

I think this will be the last change we make before moving the member list to a separate page. We are growing at around 25 members a week now, and at this rate it is only a short matter of time before it'll be just too much to be shown on every page.

The weekends always swamp me - I reserve this time for my family, so I get a backlog of stuff built up, and then I take care of it all first thing monday morning. I'll get this member list thing taken care of Mon morn, and I'll get the FAQ opened up for everybody to edit/see as well.

I've already done most of this work, so it's just a matter of putting the finishing touches on.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

Dave

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Dave,

Good idea!

I'll change mine to just A. :)

Tim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.