Garden not growing

South Easton, MA

I've been gardening for 35 years and this could be the worst year yet. I have a 30x30 foot organic garden with fixed rows and drip irrigation. A few years ago I started growing cover crops and broad forking. This year I have been overrun with pests. Pill bugs"millions" potato bettles, aphids, ants, spider mites and many more. None of my annual veggies are growing, their just sitting there turning yellow, the only thing growing are the potatoes, under heavy bug preasure. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a cause/,solution, I've become very frustrated.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yellowing is usually a sign of low nitrogen. I use fish emulsion, alfalfa pellets, and sheep or llama manure to help my soil and garden. For pill bugs, I use a product called Sluggo Plus. It really works for pill bugs, snails, and slugs. I use a general all-purpose spray for bugs, in addition to adding some predator bugs to my garden. For the spray, into 1 gal of water add: 1 oz ea: soap (Dr. Bronner's peppermint smells nice), compost tea, liquid molasses, fish emulsion, and a couple of drops of olive oil. Spray weekly on plants, on top and under the leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.