New to DG and new pollinator bed

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 8a)

Hello!
This is the first full year of my new pollinator bed. I need adjust some of the planting, and, obviously, I let the red monarda get too leggy, but I'm just glad it's fully in bloom! I also put in echinacea, coreopsis, salvia, sedum, gaura, and buddleia.

Question: I'll deadhead the red bee balm, but if I cut it back this blooming season will it come in thicker or do I need to wait until next spring for that?

Thank you! Abbie

Thumbnail by abbiejan64
Pittsburgh, PA

Bee balm can be cut back by the end of June to control height, and it will still bloom.
I cut mine back in various areas of my garden at this time to keep the height where I want it. Works well .

Thanks, obliqua! Will have it in a few weeks.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Nice planting bed! No Asclepias? I've read online that Salvia Black & Blue is the best hummer & bee attractant.

Hi, Growin -
Thanks! Maybe Asclepias is just what I need to add -- I'm thinking of lengthening the bed a little. I've seen hummers in the red monarda but nowhere else -- so far. Hoping!

Pittsburgh, PA

I grow salvia black and blue, which comes back every year from "corms". I am more of a zone 5.5, than a zone 6. I grow it in a hot/dry area.

Hummingbirds love it, blooms up until frost. See many hummers late in the season on this plant.

I have some salvia but it's not black/blue variety. Will have to look for that! Thanks, all!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

It is getting a little late, but I am still hoping to find a Nursery that has Salvia Black & Blue &/or Lady in Red. I haven't had any luck getting either to winter over, but I think Lady in Red might seed itself back a little here in Colorado.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.