Thalictrum rochebruneaum \'Lavender Mist\'

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I've been searching for the Thalictrum r. 'Lavender Mist'. It appears to be a little taller than the species. I'm not sure if their is any other difference or not.
So, is their much difference between the species and 'Lavender Mist'??
WHERE can I purchase the 'Lavender Mist'?
It seems to have disappeared other than a few websites that give a description of it.

The websites are real vague as to whether it is 'Lavender Mist' or the species. Some call the species Lavender Mist and others treat it as a hybrid.
I'm not sure there is enough difference to purchase one over the other.
Please advise.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

After reading several websites, it looks like "Lavender Mist" is a common name for Thalictrum rochebrunianum.
Try Avant Gardens
http://avantgardensne.com/thalictrum-rochebrunianum

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Loretta, thank you for your input. I have read several websites also. This particular one explains it well.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree with Loretta (as usual). I had thalictrum rochebrunianum 'Lavender Mist' for years at my former home. I got 8 very inexpensively and they seeded until I had 20! I just assumed I could reacquire it. It's definitely better in masses. I purchased the seeds from a company, but the first plant I produced was obviously a completely different plant - a white aquilegia.

I have learned not to assume I can reacquire plants easily! I was lucky enough to find the seeds for salvia verticillata 'White Rain' and reproduce it. The purple is common but went out of commerce for several years. And I tend to want a lot of plants. I have grown about ten of the white in a couple of years. I love pretty, long blooming plants that suppress weeds.

And I love saponaria bouncing bett in white. I got them years ago from Glenn Varner in his last year at Flower Scent Gardens. I went nuts getting cuttings, but now have it, and put it in areas where I am fighting weeds.

I regerminated the seeds and they look different from the first try, so I am hoping. The company I purchased the seeds from (which shall remain nameless) no longer sells it. Perhaps they know of the error.

Because I want so many I would rather not buy it. There is a British company that sells the seeds so if these come up incorrectly I will order it.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well I choose the Avent site link because they have the plant for sale. I thought I would find it at Well Sweep Herb Farm because they always carried several Meadow Rue types but this year they only list two and not Lavender Mist.
It is true that many plants you take for granted go missing. Especially since so many boutique nurseries have closed up and others have cut down on their offerings. And when I can't get it, I want it that much more.
And thanks, Donna. Good luck with your saponaria. Let us know how it goes.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I ordered some Thalictrum r. from Lazy S Farms. It hasn't come in yet.
I've had the same experience with plants/seeds etc.
It makes you feel really bad that you didn't collect the seed. :(
What's going on with this website? There is this very long post in the All White Garden post.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have been seeing lots of stuff from spammers in various threads. It's been going on for some time, but it has just reached us in gardening, apparently. Every time I see one I report it to Admin. Sometimes it takes them a while to get it out. I know the one you are talking about, and I have reported it.

I had never seen the spam until this year but apparently it is ancient history. ANYONE can join this site for a few bucks - for someone selling a product or service it's cheap advertising. Someone was posting lengthy divorce mediation stuff on one of the garden threads. Unless someone reports it, the poor people in Admin don't know it's there. And then the spammer can simply invent a new name and rejoin. Admin can't be everywhere.

I once joined a site to talk about pets and was led to a site on which, FOR YEARS, people had been conversing in an Amos and Andy/Steppin Fetchit dialogue, which for those of you who are too young to know about this is incredibly racist and has not been seen publicly for about a billion years. Admin looked at it, was appalled, and they had a discussion that they shared with me about whether you can ban racist speech, and they decided to bury the thread and make it hard to find. I would have preferred that they delete it altogether but I very much appreciated that they listened to my concerns. After all, you can't get into political speech or advertising - those standards are spelled out, but unfortunately no one foresaw that bigots would join this website and spew this stuff. I did make a mental note of some of the people on it, whose names I unfortunately recognized.

But if you see spam, just send a dmail to Admin with a link to the page, and it will go away.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Thank you both! I have been waiting for a response, but so far, none.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I understand admin. responds faster to the davesgarden facebook page. Why am I getting ads if I pay the subscription fee?
Birder, have you ordered from Lazy S's before? I never have but they have a lot of interesting plants.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I wouldn't know about Facebook, because I seem to be the only person on the planet who refuses to tweet, does not have a Facebook page, and does not have an i-phone. I am concerned about privacy, and so many entities seem to want to sell your information. And i very much dislike receiving texts. They strike me as pushy - respond to me now. I used to get texts from people who will resend the text 15 minutes later if I didn't respond to texts that sometimes went on for four pages. I put a stop to that and told them to email me., and text me only in an emergency. I have about ten clients, and some of them, particularly people with teenaged children, had to be trained.

Also, I have a sister who had incredibly nasty stuff posted about her on Facebook by a former friend. She didn't notice and it stayed there for some time; indeed, someone else emailed me the contents.

The subscription fee allows you to post. Without it you can't, and you also, as I understand it, have limitations to what you can read. I set up a review of Raulston Arboretum, and they were able to see only parts of the posting, with limited pictures.

And frankly, I was more offended by the racist group members than I am by the spammers. And they had been doing it for years.

I actually give more money, voluntarily, to Help Me Find.

I will admit to having a Facebook page, but I rarely use it. I do not go there to "visit" Dave's Garden. That is why I am a paying member, and have been for many years. If they fail to fix the problem, I can also go to NGA. I am a member there as well. I have not seen any hackers or spammers there.

It is unfortunate in today's society that we have so much disruption and chaos. A gardening website should protect it's members from those wish to interfere with those of us who like to share our gardens and gardening stories and experiences.

Quote from birder17 :
I've been searching for the Thalictrum r. 'Lavender Mist'. It appears to be a little taller than the species. I'm not sure if their is any other difference or not.
So, is their much difference between the species and 'Lavender Mist'??
WHERE can I purchase the 'Lavender Mist'?
It seems to have disappeared other than a few websites that give a description of it..

Birder ~ Did you ever find you plant or seeds of 'Lavender Mist'?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Individual members at NGA periodically take their digs by emailing me privately questioning why I am still here. One of them is an UBER here (yes, I reported her). Cubits gave my pictures to All Things Plants without my permission and happily they did not migrate to NGA, which I found out when someone on NGA told me that none of my pictures were there and surely I wanted to put some there. No.

I'll be blunt. I am so happy that some of the most annoying on the original Daves people migrated from Cubits to NGA. They didn't come back here. I know that spam is annoying, but I personally would rather deal with it than contact with some incredibly rude and arrogant individuals. And, unfortunately, no website can protect you from that.

I have found the seed for Lavender Mist on more than one website after googling. One is in England and the other is not on DG. I actually bought what was supposed to be LM but it turned out to be white aguilegia - at the least the first plant. So I'm trying it again.

I bought them years ago - 8 - for very little money. I think they were $3 each. Unlike some of the other I have, this meadow rue needs to be planted in groups to have an impact, and the sites that carry the plant are notoriously expensive or it is out of stock. One or two have no impact - in groups they are amazing. The good thing about them is that they mildly self seed. 8 became 13 after a couple of years.

I found it on a British site the other day. I also found it on a site that seems to ship everywhere but the United States. I'm trying to find the British site again, in case I really do not have the plant.

I didn't realize that both of you wanted this plant/seeds. I will continue to search from time to time. I notice that Annie's Annuals and Perennials carry this plant, but currently do not have it in stock.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I ordered the Thalictrum r. from Lazy S Farms. No, I haven't ordered from them before. They seem to have everything. They always sell in quart pots and are competitive with the rest of the companies. I haven't received the plants yet, however. I will report back.
Yes, it's very sad we have the spammers. Wow, what a mess. I too have reported it but did not receive any information back from them so I didn't know if they were getting my message or not. They used to report back to you. I am grateful, Donna, you at least responded to this conundrum. It's quite annoying.
What the heck is NGA? You can see I'm way out of the circle. I don't check this website every day but will a couple of days a week and sometimes every day. It depends on how busy I am else where. :) I am aware of All Things Plants but haven't gotten involved, signed up or anything regarding this website. I'm disappointed in the members that have left this website to go to ATP, but whatever.
I too, don't deal with facebook etc for the same reasons you do not, Donna. I am a little concerned about privacy. Plus, sometimes, website people can get rather nasty.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can understand that you would want to buy seeds when you want multiple plants. Sometimes I think it is cheaper to buy an established plant and collect the seeds from it, especially delicate seeds. I do get a lot of seeds that never germinate.
The response on Facebook is that this spam is from bots and they can spam hundreds of times in a few minutes. They are trying to fix it. Why you have to find that out through Facebook and not from the forums, I don't know.
I tried ATP/NGA but it doesn't do it for me. I do submit photos since I use both sites as a reference.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder, it's not surprising that you are confused. It's like following the bouncing ball.
Once upon a time there was Daves Garden. Then after a brouhaha (I'll spare you the drama) the Dave of Daves was out and he created Cubits.

The Cubits model was that the readers would create and control the individual Cubits. Kind of like the inmates running the asylum. I was contacted and TOLD that I had been assigned Grasses and Pest Control, and that I was to set up my own Cubit, I didn't know how to do that, and when I asked for help I was basically ignored. And another point - I have a lot of expertise in roses, lilies and peonies, but I was not offered any participation there because people on Daves I frankly was not fond of took them. Grasses and Pest Control didn't interest the "administrators". That's why they were assigned to me. I took a hike. I got several dmails asking what my problem was that I stayed on this horrible website, where I have been since, I think, 2002 and have contributed to many threads and contributed many pictures.

Well it failed, and they went All Things Plants. They also took my pictures from Cubits without asking if it was OK. Didn't care for that. Didn't join them (yet more d mails about why I stayed in this awful place).

Then the National Gardening Associate, of which I never had a very high opinion, bought All Things Plants. More dmails, one from a UBER here, pointing out to me that I had no pictures on the NGA site. I told her that was what I wanted. She told me I obviously didn't like her (because it was all about her, don't you know) and, happily for me, stopped writing. I did report her to administration here because I don't think an UBER on this site should be pitching for a rival.

By the way, do you know how you become an UBER? By submitting the most images to our pictures file. I complained to administration a few years back that, in order to remain UBERS, people routinely submitted 5 almost identical pictures to Plant Files. I sent administration examples, and some were deleted, but you have an idea of the abuses. When I submit pictures (which I don't do anymore) I send a pictures of the entire plant (for plant habit), a mid-range shot (for an idea of what the plant looks like at closer view) and a closeup of the flower. Not five basically identical pictures.

Admin used to report back to me about removing stuff (particularly the racist stuff, which had them very concerned) but I think there is now so much of it that it has become unmanageable. I really think they are doing the best that they can. I write articles for Daves and they have to manage that, too, and it's not a little job.

I now contribute most of my pictures to Help Me Find (Roses, clematis, peonies). It can be free, but in order to do some things I pay $24 a year. And frankly, I usually contribute $50 because I really respect what they do, and I don't have to deal with the egos.

And I stay away from some people because an individual became kind of threatening when she claimed that I endorsed a plant I had specifically warned against. On dmail,I sent her the link that showed that she was wrong and ask that she correct the error. I take my role of providing accurate information to people very seriously. She started insisting that we make it public, and go to Administration, which is against the policies here. So I let her know that the communication was at an end. The person posts a lot, and for a time would post right behind me no matter where I went, and I would simply leave the post.

I try to avoid the really expensive sites because I think their pricing and shipping costs are exorbitant. I think we all know which those are, so I won't mention them. I go to High Country Roses at the beginning of the season, buy myself a gift certificate at a 25% reduction, and start putting roses in may cart - and they have lots of roses at $14 to $16. Then I have them shipped all at once. They are containerized, so they can sit for a while (sometimes weeks). Because of them, I now have 40 roses. And they have a 10% discount offer going for most of the year. And because they are in Colorado (high altitude, tough conditions), I can actually plant in September, which normally I can't do. Santa Rosa Gardens sends me 25% offers all the time, and their plants are great.

In opposition, David Austin Roses start at about $30. Shipping is very high. And they just started selling own root roses. They graft most of their roses on Dr. Huey graft stock (and say so!), which is not hardy in the Midwest. I have two clients who ordered something else and now have Dr. Huey. It's the most popular rose in the midwest because hybrid teas are often grafted onto it, and the union dies over the winter. I wanted ONE rose from Austin and realized it would cost $46 dollars!!!! Happily, my garden center deals with them and I can but mature, blooming Austins for $20 at the end of the season. And those are carefully marked own root and easy to grow. They are chosen for disease resistance. I picked up three Charlotte for a client, and a Winchester Cathedral for myself. Twenty bucks! They now have Queen of Sweden, Winchester Cathedral, Charlotte and another rose that is lovely but doesn't fit my color scheme. They always have tons at the end of the season, because $40 is ridiculous. And it's great to have experts choose the roses for you, because David Austin made a lot of claims for roses, early on, that were exaggerated. "Reblooming" could mean that it blooms in May and then doesn't bloom again until late September. His newer roses are better, but if you have a bunch of the earlier ones you get very little color in your garden.

A lot of the things that go on are a little crazy.

I love seeds. I just planted out five platycodon perlemutter and three platycodon alba that I started from seed. I realized I liked dianthus, got the seed from JL Hudson and just planted out six. I inadvertently started tons of my favorite heuchera, 'Firefly' and realized the ones I have from the past came back and are blooming. I now have about a dozen heuchera 'Firefly'. I think they cost me about $2.00. I was paying as much as $11 for a similar one years ago that would die out after two years.

It can cost some money to do a good setup, and I understand why people don't want to do it. But I have grown at least 300 perennials, annuals and veggies this year. Love it!

Sorry for the horribly lengthy response.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2017 4:31 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah I do hear mentioned from time to time something happened on DG. I joined DG later on since I was happy with just GardenWeb once upon a time, back in the days of Spike and a little after. I don't like it now especially under Houzz. Then I switched to Gardenbuddies which use to be more active and the people were very nice there. I did a little Cubits, Mamajack Echinacea photo and the Midatlantic on Cubits which was fun but fell apart. I couldn't get drawn into the website as a whole. I don't like the way it is organized. Same with ATP/NGA. I can't get into that one even though I recognize a few names. I don't like the setup there either.

Donna, your seed planting is inspiring. I don't take good enough care of my seeds always once the season gets going. The small ones are always targets. Even now, I just put in a new bed for all the coneflower plugs that I got from Mamajack. They were ready to bloom and it would have been very nice to finally see them in place after all these years of keeping them in pots but a groundhog ate almost all of them.

I second the motion! Donna, you inspire me to do more seed sowing throughout the year. Sometimes mine don't come up, and I don't know why. I guess it is a matter of doing it when there aren't any other pressing matters, so diligent attention is the key, I am sure.

I am good at starting projects, but not always so careful along the way due to health and other matters. I do have a lot of seed saved and usually, if I don't start so many at once, it is easier, but usually I get so enthusiastic and, as the old saying goes, "bite off more than I can chew"!

We all appreciate your taking the time to express your views and the reasons behind them, which seem to be many. Sometimes life can be complicated. I don't blame you for not "following your assignment"! That was a ridiculous request that they made.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Donna, thank for taking the time to explain the various websites and their history. I am only vaguely aware of the other websites and was totally unaware of NGA. Oh well.
I think I will simply stay with Dave's Garden. I am familiar with it, and I don't take the time to do a lot of searching and/or looking for other websites to join. One is enough for me as I stay pretty busy doing other stuff. (Thank goodness! Ha!).
I am in the dark regarding the people you mentioned. I know there were several on this website that posted quite often. In fact, they posted so quickly, I couldn't respond before they had moved on to other topics on a thread. So, I am glad that is not happening now. Hmm, seems like too much or too little response from people. There's a few on here that write often enough and I do enjoy and appreciate them. Thanks guys! But before the big brouhaha, there were some that were practically monopolizing some of the threads.
So, again, I'm clueless, what's UBER? I thought it was people that offered to drive you some where for a fee? But, I don't think that is what you are talking about.
I had belonged to Garden Web many, many years ago. People got really hateful on there and I exited. :) Don't need that!
Yes, I very much appreciate your pictures, Donna, You do such a good job. Thank you. So informative.
I am sad to hear about the robots. Life is becoming more and more complex. I just hope the administration can get a handle on it. In the meantime, we will have to ignore it.
Yes, I'm a big seeder also. I second all of the reasons you gave for starting plants from seed. I have done so many perennials from seed that my gardens are pretty full. I usually have to take some plant out and give it away before I can plant some other perennial. I too like to have lots of some of the plants so it's a good idea to do them from seed. I was so busy this year taking out extra plants for our MG Plant Sale, a lot of my seeds didn't make it. I had a pick-up full of plants both in the cab and the bed, an SUV full of plants and a trailer full of plants. Now that my gardens are more manageable, I will be able to focus more on seeds again.
I do start some annual seeds for fall in July. They grow nicely due to the warm soil and then they get planted out in plenty of time to bloom and be enjoyed. Zinnia is especially a good one for that. Here, we get mildew on zinnias but if you grow them for fall bloom, they don't get the mildew.
Then, I also start seeds in August for biennials. They sprout and are planted in the ground early enough for the roots to get established, and that counts as the first year. Then, the following season they bloom. It works very well. For that matter, perennials do just as well that way.
I finally can see the end of planting my flowers in my gardens. I have almost all of them planted now. It feels good and the weather has been for the most part, cooperative. It will get hot now though. Forecast for this week is 90* with 70* nights. Too warm for me!
There are a few of the old members still on here, but not many. Sad. But, thank you to the new members for participating and being involved. It makes the website more interesting not to mention, more educational.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder, LOL!

An UBER is simply a person who can approve pictures that are submitted to Daves for Plant Files on his or her own authority. Supposedly this is earned by uploading a lot of pictures - sheer volume. ADMIN can't be everywhere, so it takes going to the pictures and considering and approving them off their plate. You upload a picture, and it has to wait until an UBER gets around to approving it.

The catch for the rest of us is that an UBER can approve all of his or her own pictures, regardless of their quality. It's sort of self perpetuating, because once you are an UBER you can upload a bunch of similar images and by doing so you perpetuate being an UBER by sheer volume. And you can approve the pictures of your pals even if they are fuzzy (yes, it's happened). And you can quickly approve your own and your pals' pictures while making others wait for weeks.

I understand why Admin did this, but I think when you have an UBER who is not only approving tons of their own images while others wait AND spends much of their time on other sites while going on this site and criticizing the choice of members here to remain here, you might want to reconsider allowing that person to have a privileged position on your site.

I miss a number of people, but I am in private correspondence with several of them on dmail, and some have shared with me their private emails. I am very lucky.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, here is the British site that has rochebruniainum.

https://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/flower_seed_categories/THALICTRUM_SEEDS

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've ordered from them before. I can't say I had good germination results but they were less common and fussy items.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you for telling me what UBER is. Do the initials stand for something?
Clearly, I was in the dark! Ha!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Uber
adverb
having the specified property to an extreme or excessive degree; very:
an uber fancy restaurant.
adjective
designating a person or thing that exceeds the norms or limits of its kind or class:
uber intellectuals.

What d'yall think, if I start a new thread of the White Flower Garden on the Landscape Design forum instead of the Specialty Garden forum. I have waited patiently, and not even a reply, like, "We're too busy now.", or anything at all. I really don't care for this interference.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Evelyn,
I think I would start a new White Flower Garden thread in the Specialty Garden forum and "see" what happens. I have enjoyed reading about the various white flowers you and others have suggested/planted. I may ,in the future, add to my white flower garden. I wonder if your thread was chosen at random? Probably.
I guess if it happens again, then we'll go to a different forum.
Per Donna, they are too busy to respond to our e-mails but are working on the situation/s. If it weren't for Donna, I'd be clueless for a lot of things. Thanks Donna.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I received the Thilactrum r. from Lazy S Farms last Wednesday. I can say with out a doubt, they are the nicest, largest plants I have ever received from any mail order company. Thumbs up for Lazy S Farms. :)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

You are welcome, Evelyn. And Birder, I agree. The problem with the Landscape Design forum is that it's weird mixed bag. There are several people on there who want to become landscapers and want to know how. I am kind of mystified as to why anyone who actually does it would just give away the knowledge of how to do it.

Birder, how many did you get? I may have to go in that direction if I can't grow them. They are wonderful!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've ordered from Lazy S a bunch of times - always reliable.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I bought three. I wanted more but that is all they would sell. I'll have to wait until next year or plant to grown them from seed. Or do both! I was really impressed with their plants.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

They have a limit or were they out?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I think they were sold out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.