My Eleagnus hedgerow

Little Rock, AR

I have been working for four years on establishing an Eleagnus hedgerow. Every spring I notice the bottom branches have been severed, as if by pruning shears, and all the lower leaves have disappeared over the winter period. The severed branches have been left behind, as a taunt.

Thinking it's bunnies or squirrels, I wrapped the hedgerow last winter with chicken wire and kept the wire away from the hedgerow with large rocks, so nothing could get to the plants.

This spring - success. Lower limbs and leaves remained intact, so I removed the chicken wire. This week I notice mulch has been strewn about the driveway and creek bed, indicating activity at the lower hedgerow, and once again the lower limbs have been severed and the lower leaves are gone.

What's going on? Am I destined to have a thick hedgerow that starts six inches above ground level? Or, better yet, a perfect hedgerow with ugly fencing around it 24/7?

Has anyone else experienced this? We have several acres of wooded hills in the center of the city, and have never seen the deer, or other wildlife, close to our hedgerow, but something is messing with it, and my mind, at night.

Any suggestions or answers will be so appreciated!

Thumbnail by doughdough Thumbnail by doughdough Thumbnail by doughdough Thumbnail by doughdough

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.