Anyone Grow Tithonia for Butterflies?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I know it's not a native, but I love the color of the flowers and the fact that the butterflies love it. I tossed some seeds out and am wondering if this is tithonia. It looks like a sunflower, but it has offshoots.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I am not sure, I have never grown it so I am not familiar with it. Maybe someone can tell, and yes they are very pretty and popular with butterflies.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess it's a wait and see game. This is what you get when you toss old seeds out into a bed. LOL

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's blooming! And it is a tithonia. I watched a hummer enjoy the nectar from the flowers for about 10 mins earlier this afternoon. It's not the first hummer to stop by either. :)

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Congratulations Stephanie! It surely is beautiful, Enjoy!

Dallas, TX

I saw a picture of tithonia just last night and that is it! Hadn't checked on whether it was native or not. Was just perusing the Victory Seeds online catalog. That orange color took my breath away!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's not native and it fades in direct sun when the temps get up to 100º for days, but I think it would do well in after noon shade. The hummingbirds LOVE it! If you want some seeds, I'll have some to share.

Dallas, TX

Share away! Let me know how, when, where. Please and thank you.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Send me your address via message and I'll get some out to you when I get them all cleaned up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.