Pecans

Kittanning, PA

I just came home from Georgia and i picked some pecans right off the tree. Now can i shell them and use them or do they need to be dried? I was told i had to dry them in the oven first. If so, for how long and at what temperature?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to use these in my holiday baking.
TIA,
SYR36
P.S. Georgia is one pretty state.... with ALOT of red dirt!!!

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi, I live in georgia and thank you for your compliment. You just crack open the pecan and eat it as it is or chop it up for baking purposes. You do not dry them out. When they get too dry the meat is not eatable. Janet

Kittanning, PA

Thanks Janet..... i was hoping i didn't have to do anything special to them. I was in McDonough(sp?) just south of Atlanta. Was the first time l have ever been there and l would love to come back sometime soon. Although the 12 hours driving time wasn't so fun.
But it was well worth the trip. I didn't actually believe that the dirt there was SOOOO red..... til l saw it!!! LOL
And you can keep the fire ants... they are no fun at all...

This message was edited Monday, Nov 26th 10:45 PM

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

Northern ga has alot of red clay. we have some here in the south but not as much as the north. fire ants are no fun for anyone. I hate them. they really hurt when they bite and each year i combat them. And the sugar ants are the worst for getting inside your house.During the warm months they are really pesty. anyway hope you enjoy your georgia peacans.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh syr, you were so close to Azalea and me!!! I wish I'd known you were coming!!!!!!1

Kittanning, PA

Awwwww tiG..... if i had known for sure WHERE i was and WHERE you were i would've loved to have met you 2!!! How far away was i from you? Im not familiar with the area there, but I can guarantee I will be back there again... I loved it...
Let me know the distance difference

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you were only 15 or so miles or less from Azalea and maybe 45 minutes from me. Let us know when you come back to McDonough!!!

Kittanning, PA

Sure will let you know... Hoping to be back in the spring. Possibly around May-June.
SYR36

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.